Large Reef Set-Up Help!

rooster426

Premium Member
I'm asking a lot... so thanks in advance for any advice.

I have an opportunity to acquire both a 265 gallon (used) complete reef system as well as a 150 gallon (used) complete system. Free. Tanks, lots of live rock, sand, sumps, refugiums, lights, pumps, Ca reactors, skimmers......everything. It's from someone I know & trust. The systems have been up and running for about 7 years. I personally have a 6-tank, approximately 400 gallon propagation system, also well-established. My question - Should I worry about quarantining the live rock? Or just put it in my system (I have room to just "plop it in"). It's over 300 lbs of rock.

And....The other question: While I've had reef set-ups for many years, they've always been fairly simple. Softies, LPS, and anemones. Never any SPS or "difficult" corals. I've always had lots of rock, lots of sand, totally non-automated, very simple set-ups. Starting fresh with the 265, what "method" should i do? I'm very out-of-touch with the newer methods of reef keeping. Opinions on Automation/no automation? I would like to stick with the softies/LPS, but I've always wanted to try SPS.

Thanks!

Sps is a different game from lps and softy. U need stronger light, stronger flow, need pristine water chemistry which mean u have to invest into more equipment and Sps is expensive so more money. Live rock has a lot of unwanted pest such as aptesia, flat worm, fire worm, bristle worm ECT so if u don't want them in your system then u need to cure the rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really depends on your own comfort with risk. If it was me I'd plop it in and add a crew of peppermint shrimp to patrol it for aiptasia anemones. That would need to be in a tank devoid of shrimp predators. On the other hand, if the previous owner had ICH, I'd quarantine it in a fishless vessel for the recommended fallow period. Sorry, I can't remember how long that is. 2-3 months?

I'm a low tech, simple setup guy myself. Did the new setups come with automation? If so, give it a whirl and see how you like it. The beauty of all this technology is the potential to keep parameters very stable and optimized for the more difficult sps corals. So if that's the direction you want to go, apex it up!

Back