Large tank SPS question?

ryguy886

So, I have my current system has been up and running for the past 3 years. I seem to have good coral growth and I haven't lost a coral specimen in about 2.5 years. I strive for stable parameters and I have achieved that through a diligent maintenance regimen and daily tank care.

I see all these photos of the TOTM and other peoples systems and the SPS corals always have amazing polyp extension and amazing color. I have never been able to recreate this in my tank. Tank info below:

265 gallon (84"L x 30"H x 24"D)
90 Gallon sump
U/V sterilizer
Reef Octopus Skimmer
BRS dual GFO/Carbon reactor
2 x Vortech MP40wES

Parameters:
Specific Gravity = 1.026
Ammon. = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0-5ppm
Temp = 78-80F
pH = 7.9 - 8.3
Calcium = 400
Magnesium = 1180
Alk = 7.5dKH

I also dose Aqua-vitro "Fuel" twice a week and feed the tank BRS "Reef Chili" twice weekly, about 30 min after I dose the "Fuel".

I notice some polyp extension after feeding, but never like the photos of other reefers systems!

For Lighting I run, 4 Aqua-Illuminations Hydras and they come on at 11:00am and go out at 11:30PM which goes right into the lunar cycle from 11:30pm to 7:00am.

I am looking for any advice to achieve the polyp extension that others are getting ??

Thanks in Advance!
Ryan

That's a pretty wild pH spread. Is that within a 24 hour period? Remember that the pH scale is logarithmic so changes are quite significant.

Dave.M

Back