Leak repair on PVC

kiowascout

I water tested my plumbing from the basement sump tonight and found a couple of leaks at joints.

will silicone applied to the exterior of the joint be sufficient to stop the leaking?

What have you done in the past?

If it is on a return line with head pressure then silicone will probably just blow out over time. Just take the time to fix it right..:)

You can put some pvc glue over top the joint it will hold for awhile but once you have some time fix it right with some couplers or unions.

My experience is that silicone does not adhere very well to PVC, or plastic in general. I fixed a couple of leaks by using the epoxy putty you can get at HD or Lowes. They have a marine epoxy that can be used underwater and adheres well to PVC, so it is the perfect solution to a leaky pipe in my opinion. Good luck!

If it's the return line, take the time to fix it right (cut away leaking section, glue in new section with couplers, unions, etc.). The pressure will eventually weaken any repair job, and you'll always be wondering when it's gonna fail. If it's the drain line, epoxy or silicon will eventually be reinforced with salt creep, and it probably wont be an issue.

go to your pool/spa supply store and get yourself some snap on seals. they're made just for leaky joints.

6d414676774b704f46376d7256655f6841-100x100.jpg

Can you do something to seperate a PVC cemented joint, heat it and pull it apart or use some kind of thinner?

i did the same this past weekend...filled up the tank/sump and after about 4hrs, the closed loop 90 started leaking.

i pulled it ALL off and redid it....for the little cost in PVC, its worth doing it over......IMO of course.

I've had some success with using Plumber's Goop.
For easiest application, spread it on a one inch wide bandage cut to wrap around the pipe twice, and wind it around the leaking joint. It should be cured well enough to re-apply water after about 12 hours.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6566346#post6566346 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kevensquint
Can you do something to seperate a PVC cemented joint, heat it and pull it apart or use some kind of thinner?

Not very likely. The glue works by melting the PVC, when it dries, it "freezes" back together. Anything you tried to use to break the joint is just as likely to break the pipe itself, or at the very least, extremely weaken it.

Back