Leaky Bulkhead Questions

reefing102

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Premium Member
Hey guys, I have a leaky bulk head on my 65.

According to the manufacturers website, I have the following - a 1" drain, and a 3/4" return.

The one I’m looking to replace initially is the return. I figure though if I’m going to go that far, I might as well redo my plumbing.

For backstory, I bought the tank used, reused the plumbing that came with it and heads what I know.
  • The drain is all slip fit pvc.
  • The return is a mix of clear vinyl tube clamped to PVC which is then slip fit into PVC that is glued into the bulkhead.
Anyway, I’ve never put my own plumbing together:
  • With the dimensions listed above, is that 3/4 inch the size bulkhead I also need?
  • Based on the proper bulkhead size, is 3/4 the same pvc I need?
Here’s some pics:
IMG_0874.jpeg

0_IMG_0877.jpeg

You have never put together your own plumbing? I am seriously shocked with your history and hobby knowledge.

Based on the pics, I agree with @T Diddy

Wow…looking at the picture, it looks like a coupling is on the return pipe as opposed to a reducer. It may actually be a 1” bulkhead and a 3/4” bulkhead as opposed to two 1” bulkheads

Wow…looking at the picture, it looks like a coupling is on the return pipe as opposed to a reducer. It may actually be a 1” bulkhead and a 3/4” bulkhead as opposed to two 1” bulkheads
Wait, you made me look again and I’m pretty sure you’re right.

Anyway, your flex tubing is connected to a 3/4” barbed fitting, slip fit to 3/4” PVC. Don’t be tempted to couple the barb fitting to the flex tubing at the bulkhead…you won’t be able to change/replumb or even move your tank again without cutting it off.

Thanks for the replies.

@griss this is the first tank I’ve ever had a sump with lol. Most of my past tanks were either AIO or I used HOB filters. Plumbing is one of my weakest spots with this hobby.

Okay so if I wanted to completely redo it, I honestly like the look of colored PVC. How would you guys redo it?

Also what’s some good brand bulkheads?

It looks like I’ll need 1” for the drain and 3/4” for the return?

Is there a “safe” way to connect the return pipe to the bulkhead?

@T Diddy If I’m reading the post correctly, there’s no good way to connect flex tubing to a bulkhead correct?

I’ve used whatever bulkheads are the cheapest and never had an issue. Usually buy the from Premium Aquatics.

Yes, 1” drain and 3/4” return.

Never used colored PVC, so can’t comment on that.

What kind of flex tube are you looking at? Visual please😉. I’m using eShopps flex tube for my drain bulkhead to sump.

I was just saying don’t be tempted to place the barb directly on the bulkhead. For plumbing, it’s best to use a true union ball valve or gate valve. Use threaded fittings (as opposed to glue/slip) just below your bulkhead so that you don’t have to cut it next time you touch it. You can always use a tiny bit of silicone if you like, and still be able to turn it later.
If you want to stick with the flexible tubing, you can still put together a standard pvc ball valve and a 3/4” barb on each end for flow control, just be sure the one coming off of the bulkhead is threaded so you can easily remove it later.

Oh, and I’m assuming you’re referring to schedule 80 pvc (colored). It’s used for higher pressure applications, but most true union ball valves are schedule 80, so that’s why you see colored plumbing. Having said that, there’s no reason why you can’t use schedule 80 and schedule 40 (white) pieces interchangeably…the size and threading is the same

…and having said all of that, I still use the cheap stuff (white schedule 40) for everything, but I use the flex for the return

I’ve used whatever bulkheads are the cheapest and never had an issue. Usually buy the from Premium Aquatics.

Yes, 1” drain and 3/4” return.

Never used colored PVC, so can’t comment on that.

What kind of flex tube are you looking at? Visual please😉. I’m using eShopps flex tube for my drain bulkhead to sump.
I was looking at this

Use a hair dryer on the end of the flex tubing before connecting to the barb. You can get braided flex tubing from HD in a 10’ roll for $20 or so. It won’t collapse when you try to push connect to the barb, and doesn’t kink either

I was looking at this

Ah, I thought you were talking about something like This for drain tubing. I’ve used what you’re looking at for return. It works but you need to watch for it kinking.

I was looking at this

The black vinyl tubing is pretty nice…it’s good quality stuff and is rather supple compared to other tubing. You’ll still want to use the hairdryer though

I figured you meant this stuff, it says it's sched 40 but all the connectors say furniture grade which seems suspect. It's likely fine since BRS continues to sell it.

pvc.png

For the drain I never glue it to the bulk head. I just use silicone and have never had a leak. I don't think I'd try that on a return line though. Apparently spiders want to help too. I also keep my pipes as straight as possible. I hate the crazy octopus of pipes a lot of people have.

IMG_20240314_203953532.jpg

I figured you meant this stuff, it says it's sched 40 but all the connectors say furniture grade which seems suspect. It's likely fine since BRS continues to sell it.

View attachment 32398156

For the drain I never glue it to the bulk head. I just use silicone and have never had a leak. I don't think I'd try that on a return line though. Apparently spiders want to help too. I also keep my pipes as straight as possible. I hate the crazy octopus of pipes a lot of people have.

View attachment 32398157
I was looking at that but I don’t have a pipe threader and it’s not threaded unless I’m looking at it wrong. Unless I switch the bulkheads and valves to slip/slip

Back