Leather Coral rotting?

Anemone12

I just bought a leather coral about a week ago. It was doing good on the first 2 days then closed up. I thought it was shedding but seems to be Turing black. Any advice. I think it's a toadstool leather.

a picture helps alot

what are your water perameters?

Sg
alk
Ca
NO3 (nitrates)
PO4

also, what kind of lighting?

Mine doesn't like specific gravity above 1.025

I also have issues if my KH is high and there are no measurable NO3 and PO4.

Mine does better with a little nitrate and phosphate in the water (3-5ppm NO3 and no less than .03 ppm PO4)

If its turnin black, that is usually a bad sign. We would need the water test parameters to help some...

Keith

Well don't have a test kit. Get the water tested each week. But I have about 30 different pieces of coral including another toadstool but this one just isn't doing so good.

A picture is really needed here. without the picture I can only suggest keeping it in a low flow area away from any other areas with good lighting, then leave it alone for a few days. If you think it's too far gone and dying off then the other option would be to try and frag any healthy tissue and getting it to grow on some rock. fragging can be accomplished by using a sharp pair of scissors or a razor knife and cutting a healthy looking piece from the body. You can use rubber bands to wrap around the piece and secure it to the rock. leave it at the bottom of the tank in a low flow, well lit area and if healthy, it will attach itself to the rock. It may take a few days to a couple weeks for it to get secure on the rock.

sorry I can't be of more help

Tivo

Back