LED lighting for 100g cube

kylemm

Hello everyone! First post on this site. I wanted to start off by saying thank you everyone for all the great information on this site. Has helped me a lot!

Back to the topic. I'm planning on having a rimless 100 gallon cube built by miracle aquariums. I have had a few small tanks before, but this will be my first custom tank so I'm a little nervous. I plan on doing lps, zoas, and some basic sps. Monti, birdsnest, etc. The tank is 36x36x18. So a shallow reef. I'm wondering what you guys think would be acceptable for lighting. I'd like to keep it led if I can as I've been a fan and have a decent amount of experience with them. I'm looking at either 2-3 36" ecoxotic panorama leds. Or, second option, ecotechs Radeon or Radeon pro. If I did that I'd probably only be able to afford one and would therefore need to pick up the wide angel lens kit. I really like the idea of setting up profiles through ecotechs software. As well as the aesthetics of it with a rimless tank. Not to mention synchronization with the vortech power heads.

So what do you guys think? Would one Radeon with wide angle lens be enough? Or should I be looking more towards the panorama led direction?

Sorry for the crazy long message! I appreciate any help I can get as I'm not sure the best path to take. Especially since it's a more shallow tank.

Last edited:
36" square is difficult to cover with a single LED fixture and still get strong enough lighting to support corals. The new AquaIlluminations Hydra 52 may get you enough PAR value with a single fixture to suport the corals you list, but I don't think it would allow you to move into the more light demanding corals like SPS or clams.

Okay, I was kinda thinking that would be the case. Do you think the Radeon led systems are worth investing the extra money in over something like the ones you mentioned or the ecoxotics? I could postpone and save more if I have to. I wanna do it right once and not have to worry.

I've never heard of them, but they seem to be getting positive reviews.

I also had a member offer a pair of Radeon gen 1s for what I think was a good deal. Is the gen 1 notably worse compared to the gen 3s or the reef builder leds?

Last edited:
Im starting to lean towards the reef keeper leds. They seem to be great quality and price. Does anyone have any experience with them and sps dominant tanks?

For me it is hard to go against the quality of ecotechs brand. They are proven and have great customer service. The biggest plus for me is that all their products are upgradeable. The radions are amazing thats what most people i know using leds are using.

I would not say anything negative about the Ecotech brand...other than price. I use a DIY, and SPS do good in my tank. However, after doing some research, my next upgrade will most likely be a Reef Breeder Photon of some type. My intent was not to recommend, but rather to give you another option to look at. I personally like the cost...and comments by users. This addiction is expensive enough...so saving money is a plus. However, this is not to say someone should always pick inexpensive.

I completely understand. I don't mean to put down ecotech in anyway. I don't mind spending the money is there is a reason. I'm just thinking from what I hear that the reef breeders are a fantastic price per performance. If I did go with reef breeders I'd do either two 24" photon or the 36". Do you think the 24s would be enough? I was thinking keep sps more central in the tank, and lps more towards the outer area.

Another LED to consider is the Kessil A350W/A360W. The 350 is adjusted with dials and the 360 is compatible with some controllers.

Thanks for all the great info guys. This really helps. I'm curious what any of you paid for a custom tank. I'm looking at 1300 for a miracle 100g cube with 3 holes drilled and a overflow box and shipping. Does that seem reasonable? Also, have any of you have had any experience with oceans by design? I'm having a hard time picking a brand to go with. I obviously want quality, and the best prices I can get. I live in the central US so no one is super close

Just any FYI there is group buy going right now for the Reefbreeders fixtures. You would save $80 on 2x photon's. I put my order in great light for the price IMO, but I'm just a newb so lol.

Thanks for the tip! Its through the 23rd right? Might have to buy those before I get my tank. Not sure how wise it is, but hard to turn down price

yea the post says 23rd so tomorrow is the last day it seems. I know its not the best light out there but everyone seems to agree its a good light for its price tag.

It may not be the absolute greatest, but it seems like it is up there with ecotech in terms of lighting. May not be as aesthetically pleasing or have the wireless tech. But from what I've been reading, coral growth is comparable to the ecotechs

Back