LED Lighting height ?

JVD BVI

My LED's are the Mars Aqua brand (cheap Chinese), currently they are about 9 1/2 inches off the water and I have about 12 inches from the water line to the sand bed.

Not sure if that's too high, corals are doing fine but I do have a purple Bosnia I put on the sand bed to acclimate and its a bit brown

Any thoughts on a good height off the water.

I have the same light retrofitted onto my gf's biocube 29. Its in the hood so the light is probably 3 inches off the water. I have blues at 70% and whites at 15ish% no browning of any corals but her zoas are morphing colors due to the high led intensity. My sps and torch coral are growing like crazy tho

I have Reef Radiance DM-165P+ LEDs and they are about 9 inches off the water. I have three of them over my 180g which is 24 inches deep. My blues max out at 65% and my whites max out at 35%. All of my corals are growing like crazy! I have softies, lps, sps, palys and zoas in the tank.

I have a generic chinese brand LED system as well. Not sure about where to set it. I may be way off, but I have 3 fixtures of 55 3watt LEDs 18 inches above a 32 inch deep tank. I feel like I had to turn the whites to 30% and blues to 45-50% to keep the hammers and torch open. We'll see how it goes.

Here is a screen shot of my led lights par meter (sellers provided picture) mine has 55 3 watt led's. This should give you an idea on how far away from the water level to hang your light. You can also remove the 90 degree optics and run the led's at 120 optic (this is what i did with mine) i dont know how accurate the sellers par meter pic is but is should be a good estimate as to where to start.

uploadfromtaptalk1453675290879.jpg

Back