LED opinions please

Mark_C

I've been looking for affordable and reasonably reliable LEDS for a couple of weeks now. I've read all the posts, seen all the sights, and am now thinking myself in circles overanalyzing everything and in a rut on moving forward.

Many of these Chinese based LEDs appear to be exactly the same unit - same housing, same light layout. Are they the same unit sold by different distributers?

Anyways, I've narrowed choices down to 3 for a shallow reef (48x24x12). I've a good outside review of the Oceanrevive which I've seen in action and am impressed with, but would still appreciate feedback and constructive opinions from anyone using any of these lights...

Pair of Aquastars

Pair of Oceanrevive T247s

Pair of Euphoticas

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

I put a Kessil A360 on my 60G cube and love the small size and HUGE distribution the light has. I will be honest I went with an off brand LED lighting system before and the thing fried in a couple years. I did the research and decided Kessil was the brand I wanted for its longevity and simplicity of use. I also just bought the controller for it today and can't want to hook it up. I would check the Kessil out.

I have Aqua stars and they were too bright for my 180. I love them you can turn the intensity down of the blues/greens/purples and white/others separately. I had to crank them down very happy. A fellow reefer suggested them to me

I dont know what your issue was but please do not poison the pot for everyone i personally have bought 5 lights from them in the last year all working great and have no issues with them.

In my opinion you are the exception to the rule. I would just encourage the OP to look into others experiences with Reef Radiance. Most have not been positive.

Look at reef radiance also i run them and ocean revive like both

Tigerdragon, I have 3 new OceanRevive 247s but having a hard time figuring out the best settings for a softie - LPS tank. I have a 180, 24" deep, mostly leathers, zoos, mushrooms, torch and frogspawn.

How high have you been running yours?

Try starting at 25% whites and 70% blues. Esp if you havent been running leds before. Give a couple of weeks for coral to adjust then up by 5% weekly or so. I am running at about 35-40% whites and 100% blues on my 90 which is 24" deep. Mine are about 10" above tank.

Try starting at 25% whites and 70% blues. Esp if you havent been running leds before. Give a couple of weeks for coral to adjust then up by 5% weekly or so. I am running at about 35-40% whites and 100% blues on my 90 which is 24" deep. Mine are about 10" above tank.
I appreciate it - I was afraid to turn them up that high. Mine are also about 10" over the water surface.

I dont know what your issue was but please do not poison the pot for everyone i personally have bought 5 lights from them in the last year all working great and have no issues with them.

Wait 2 months with bad communication from the vendor ...... your opinion would change.

Thanks all. Ended up doing some checking about and ended up two of these with custom LEDs, controller, and mounts for less then the price of a single light unit.
Its nice to luck out once in a while, nicer when someone else in the hobby knows where you're at and cuts you a deal :)

Good you got a great deal. I hope they work out well for you. They look nice, but I know nothing about them. I personally run 2 OR arctic T247's on my tank and love them. Can grow pretty much anything I want.

Back