LED To T5 swtich

Nwest

Has anyone recently switched from LED to T5's?

If so what was your reasoning and what LED did you change from.

Was having a talk with a reef buddy and he said how good my tank looked with my radions but he said that t5's it would look way better. So it got me thinking, just want to pick the brains of others who made the switch.

I didn't switch, but on my last DIY build, I went with hybrid LEDs for simplicity and control, but supplemented with two T5 bulbs for a few hours to give the corals that extra spectrum they may need. I will say that corals look better when all the lights are on and they look healthier.

I love the colors under LEDs, they just pop more, but the corals do need some thing extra from the T5s.

I switched 5 months ago. Went from reefbreeders to 6x54 ATI. I just didn't like the leds. My growth has tripled since the switch.

Last edited:
I went from 100% led to kessil + t5. Colors are great, and growth isn't bad. It's definitely not the 3/4" a week that I've seen people report with halides.

Overall appearance exceeds my expectations for the setup. Aside from color and appearance, one of the best things is that I can keep a lot lps now. Keep them shaded from the kessils and they do great with the t5 lighting.

I'm personally adding to t5's with the kessil deep ocean blues just to brighten it up. Looks nice so far may get 2 more bulbs and see what it looks like after that.

I have been researching and seeing a lot of people taking the larger fixtures and taking out some of the t5's and adding the led fixtures to it. I am going to keep my eye out for a ATI or Tek fixture and see what I can create out of that!!!

Like I said I love the tank right now sps look great just want more out of it!

I think I am going to be making the switch...I don't think my reefbreeders are giving my sps the light they need. Maybe kessils with a few t5s.

I went from 100% led to kessil + t5. Colors are great, and growth isn't bad. It's definitely not the 3/4" a week that I've seen people report with halides.

Overall appearance exceeds my expectations for the setup. Aside from color and appearance, one of the best things is that I can keep a lot lps now. Keep them shaded from the kessils and they do great with the t5 lighting.

I have seen his tank in person. And all I can say is it looks amazing! The colors are vibrant! When I build my bigger tank I will be running led with t5's. Probably the kessils bc of there size.

Back