Lennardi Wrasse - Success Stories?

Peckoltia

Hi

I have done a search and read a fair few threads on RC about the Lennardi Wrasse - lots of horror stories with a few success stories mixed in. I live in Western Australia where the Lennardi Wrasse hails from (albeit I'm much further south). The odd thing is, I seem to hear far more success stories talking face to face with local reefers and suppliers than I do reading online.

I got my hands on a 3" Juvenile a month ago, so my Lennardi experience is still very much in its infancy. It is Lennardi breeding season at this time of the year so we have seen a huge influx in juveniles available in the trade. I had the option between very small 1" juveniles, 3" juveniles or a couple of 8" 'adults'. I went with the larger juvenile as to me it seemed like the smart choice.

A little about my tank - its is a relatively young SPS dominant reef, with 70kg (~150lb) of high quality live rock (8x3x2).

So far my observations have been as follow -
- This is the only fish in my DT that didn't go through a rigorous home QT (QT at the supplier), so while I know it was a risk, it was a calculated one. I did this as my QT is typical, dead rock, no sand and would have been the only fish in the tank.
- My fish never dived under the sand when put in the tank, and instantly swam around like it had been in the tank for months.
- My wrasse does not 'sleep' anywhere near the hours of what I've seen quoted on RC. Mine is up and swimming just before my LED's turn on at 9am and is out and about all day until about 5 minutes before the lights completely go out at 9pm at which time it will dive into the sand.
-Mine didn't eat any food I offered for the first week. Would swim right past brine, mysis and pellets as if they weren't there. But it instantly started picking at my live rock from the second it hit the water. It interacts very little with other inhabitant and constantly picks at rocks.
- After about week it started taking brine and mysis but would spit most of it out and slowly started spitting and then eating the finer particles. A month on it now eats with very little spitting.
-My wrasse also seems interested in Nori now, picks at it a tiny bit but is interested in the commotion it causes with other fish (only time this fish interacts with others). I really feel like these Wrasse learn to take prepared foods by watching other fish. Keeping a single one in a QT with no other fish in a relatively sterile environment would be detrimental to survival (my opinion).

While it has only been a month - hopefully this will be a long term success story. Please share any Lennardi experiences members may have...

Interesting comment about the nori. One of the collectors commented ages back in a local FB group saying that he often sees lennardi chomping on weed in the wild. Whether thats correct, or whether they're more interested in inverts hiding in the weed, is anyones guess. Still, might be a useful observation.

Good luck with your fish, thinking you made a good choice wrt size.

:wave:

Back