Let there be light

If you're going with t-5 then you will want waterproof endcaps and individual reflectors for effective Reef lighting. The light you posted does not appear to have either.

They look very much like individual reflectors to me and end caps can be waterproofed as much as commercial aquarium lights pretty easy. Aquarium light fixtures don't do a very good job of 'water proofing' either. I think with the right color bulbs and a lexan cover (also at HD) you could be in business.

Even if I have to take the casing apart to make some modifications it wouls still save me a hell of a lot of money.

Your expense on that light is going to go up at least $50 in order to
replace those bulbs as they aren't the right kelvin.

If you want/need to stick with that budget, I would instead recommend you get this light. http://fishneedit.com/4ft4bulbs-with-l44.html

I have it and get good growth and color.

I will 2nd this as an option. I have a 4 bulb 2ft t-5 fixture from them and love it.:beer: Getting ready to purchase the 4ft for my 90....

Also, check ebay. They have the generic Odysea fixtures with bulbs and usually allow you to choose your colors. May be good to start and then add better bulbs like ATI, UVL, or Geissmann later. Even though this depot light may have individual reflectors, the shape and reflectivity also play a role. A good portion of the cost of high end T5 fixtures is the reflectivity.

Back