Leveling problems need help

laserjim

Another Day In Paradise
Having a heck of a time getting this thing level. The one corner of the tank is sticking up 1/4 inch. I put a shim under that, by the time its level, Which is up in the air way to much, the other side of the tank comes up.I dont know if its the floor, tank, or stand. Ive built a lot of stands, nothing this big though. 96x42x35. How much do metal stands cost to have made ?

Ironically Jim, my floor is so unlevel where I want to place this thing that I'm gonna give a draft to a friend of mine and have him pass on it on to his metal fab guy and have him powdercoat it when he's done. I want leveling feet or something fabbed in to compensate for my horrible floor. I don't know per say a stand builder but a competent metal worker can fabricate what's needed per your requests. I'm going to draw mine up asap and see what its gonna cost me lol. I'm pretty much going solo on this, since there's not a lot of talk about the cost or any reputable fabricators. I know my time frame I have more time to get it done, not sure about your schedule. Good luck let me know if you find a dedicated exp'd stand builder in the area. Otherwise I'm going my buddy route.

I can pull down on that corner of the tank and its fine. Im going to get some foam and run it.

I can pull down on that corner of the tank and its fine. Im going to get some foam and run it.

Jim, have you tried either cedar or plastic shims at every 12" on all sides? you should be able to get level using shims at 1 foot intervals. Something sounds strange. If you shim, make sure both sides are shimmed so does not twist. A door jamb level is nice for the floor to see where your at (very long).
mike

Same

Same

Mike that is one of the reasons I called you today. I have a almost similar issue with the discus stand I just built. It's barely on lifting in one corner. If I gently press down on corner it is leveled. I think the the fact that some of the wood I started with was warped. I returned the remaining warped planks and got better ones.

Jim, have you tried either cedar or plastic shims at every 12" on all sides? you should be able to get level using shims at 1 foot intervals. Something sounds strange. If you shim, make sure both sides are shimmed so does not twist. A door jamb level is nice for the floor to see where your at (very long).
mike

Leveling a big stand is a pain, but it's worth all the effort to get it just right. My terrazo was uneven so I layed self leveling cement, which went horribly. Had to redo that, lots of sanding, lots of shims, but in the end it's perfectly level from empty to full.

Hopefully the builder got the bottom of the tank level when he glued it together. Could it be the tank?

Could be, When I put a level on it, Its really close, the bubble doesnt touch either line. The corner that is about 1/16 up, all I have to do is put very little pressure on it with my hand and its flush. Im gonna run it. I have 3/4 on the sides and top.

Back