LF: 40 breeder canopy advice/help

Webmanny

Hey guys,

I feel that I need to change my lights and build a new/more flexible hybrid setup. For that purpose, I would like to build or have someone build a simple canopy for my tank.

I want to have something that would give me enough space to place a few T5 bulbs with reflectors, as well as several channels of 3W LEDs.

This design caught my eye and looks like something simple that I could build and would give me plenty of footprint for T5s and LEDs.

My question is regarding height. How high should the sides and front be given that the lights will be on the top door?

Any advise you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

art_diy_canopy2.gif

I think my canopy is 10" or 12", but it's on my 360. It's partially going to depend on the height of your stand, but I wouldn't go under 8" for the canopy.

Thank you for your feedback. I like the height of 12". I think that will give me enough clearance for the T5s with the reflectors and enough space for the 3W LEDs to blend.

As far as my stand goes, I think it is at 36" high, but the 40 breeder is not that tall so 12" should not make it look weird. I think.

Keep them coming guys.

I would mock it up with cardboard or something. 12" will be almost as tall as the tank itself, right?

Another question guys,

Should I go with wood or PVC boards? I saw these PVC boards at Lowe's that match what I'm looking to do, but I'm concerned about warping.

If wood, which ones should I go with? They had several options, but I'm looking for one that is moisture resistant.

Back