Light for lipped aquarium

AGWL

So I just upgraded to a new tank (60 gallon mixed reef). I have two hipargero 100 watt lights that I'm very pleased with. However, the mounting brackets won't fit over the lip of the tank (see pictures). This is funny, because on the last tank, which was also lipped, the mounts were too big and we had to rig them special to keep them from falling in.

My options as I see them:
1. take a hack saw to the rim of the tank.
2. screw the light brackets into the wall behind the tank
3. buy new lights.

None of the options thrill me.

What are your thoughts? If I need new lights, what kind would you recommend?
IMG_1702.jpg
IMG_1703.jpg

If it were my tank, I’d go with option 1. You only need to trim off the inside rim, not the entire brace. But I’m sure (based on the pic) you knew that.

People seem pretty happy with these lights, I'm surprised I don't hear them mentioned more considering they have all the high end options without the price tag. Anyway, just a notch out of that inner trim as George and Shane are saying would make a nice clean fit. I'm curious though, the specs say that bracket is 1" wide, Is the tank glass really that thick or is that plastic trim wider than it appears relative to the glass?

People seem pretty happy with these lights, I'm surprised I don't hear them mentioned more considering they have all the high end options without the price tag. Anyway, just a notch out of that inner trim as George and Shane are saying would make a nice clean fit. I'm curious though, the specs say that bracket is 1" wide, Is the tank glass really that thick or is that plastic trim wider than it appears relative to the glass?
They're great lights, I love them. And, yeah, it's the plastic brace that's causing the problem. I was also trying to find a way to ceiling mount them, but can't seem to work that out, either.

Bad news? I moved everyone over to the new tank before checking the lights because I stupidly thought it'd be the same as the last tank.
Good news? All critters are very happy in new tank.

Attachments

• IMG_1705.jpg
    IMG_1705.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
sorta funny, I was just searching for ideas on adding a rimless style light mount to a rimmed tank and stumbled across this thread. I took some measurements, grabbed scissors and in 5 minutes had this sucker mounted.

Now, it's not perfect, but it's very secure. I'd rather it be straighter, but the angle of the lights might be beneficial since it's shining away from my desk. so I'm not sure if I'll finagle a spacer in there or leave it as is, yet.

1706640893886.png

1706640903792.png

1706640915317.png

I am using this light. I'm not sure if it's going to be strong enough for my project yet, but I do like it.

Back