Light Red Algae w/ green algae

20galgirl

Hey guys, I’ve been having my aquarium for a couple months 20 gallon acrylic, went through cycle, added cleaners (skunk and 3 hermits) , went through diatom phase, and then added 2 clowns and a diamond back goby about 5 days ago. I noticed green algae first after diatoms and now im seeing this very light red almost pinkish algae on my dry rock that i added at the beginning. I cycled tank with live rock and live sand. Can somebody explain if this algae is good or bad and what its called?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
Hey guys, I’ve been having my aquarium for a couple months 20 gallon acrylic, went through cycle, added cleaners (skunk and 3 hermits) , went through diatom phase, and then added 2 clowns and a diamond back goby about 5 days ago. I noticed green algae first after diatoms and now im seeing this very light red almost pinkish algae on my dry rock that i added at the beginning. I cycled tank with live rock and live sand. Can somebody explain if this algae is good or bad and what its called?
Also my skunk shrimp just molted, good sign or bad? Havent done a big water change yet either.

Thankyou all! Nitrates we’re about 1.0 ppm, don’t have a test kit for phosphates yet but I’m getting one this week! Ph was between 8.2 and 8.4, ammonia very low- reading showed none, nitrites about 0.5

depending on quality of test kit, 1 ppm is pretty low. I wouldn't let it drop to 0. Dino's can take a foothold when nutrients bottom out. specifically NO3 and PO4.

i have had 3 bouts with the dreaded Dinos and beat it each time when intentionally letting nutrients rise and running UV. i now watch my nitrates/Po4 and try to keep NO3 at 3 to <10 ppm and PO4 0.03 to 0.08 which has staved off Dinos and my system is doing fine.

just sayin' ;)

Back