Lighting a 20 gallon long

fattytwobyfour

Hey,

So this has been a terrible reef week for me. I came home to my 93 gallon reef leaking. I was not able to save the tank, but saved all of the fish and corals. So basically I've been forced to use a 29 gallon cube and a 20 gallon long right now. I was able to use a radion I had on my 30 cube, but the only light I had available for the 20 is a maxspect nano. This tank is 30" long, so the light cannot cover the whole tank. I am needing a new light and have been trying to find a decent t5 setup for it. I am housing mostly soft corals, zoas, and a huge bubble tip anemone in this tank. I can't justify spending $500 on the ati fixture. Is there any options available that will let me run 24" ati bulbs, while hanging over a 30" tank? I looked at some grow lights on amazon, bjt they don't have splash guards, and I don't want to burn down my house. I have tried researching extensively, but keep running into a brick wall.

I actually ordered a Hydrofarm t5 fixture from Amazon, and it came in today. I haven't opened it, but am sending it back. I just couldn't get over it not having a splash guard, and afraid I would shatter some bulbs or they would catch fire. I almost broke down today and ordered the ATI fixture, but at $420, I thought it should at least be dimmable, and talked myself out of it.

Maybe running leds have spoiled me. I have never ran t5s, and honestly just wanted to give them a try. I have tried searching forums, Google, and Youtube. I am having no luck. I have been in this hobby for over 6 years now, and I know not to take shortcuts. So I want to do it right. I am going from the 93 gallon to this 20 gallon and a 30 gallon. What scares me is that I will want to go big again, and the fixture I buy won't be used. So that is where I am at right now.

Back