Lighting for a 20 long

jdav

I've had a 20L set up now for about 3 months and Im ready to start putting corals in. I plan on making the tank zoas only. As of right now, the tank has a 96 watt pc fixture (it hangs over).

I want to keep really brightly colored zoas in the tank and that's it really. what do I need to have as far as lighting goes to keep the zoas bright and not have them fade or brown out?

250 watts on a 20L is completely unnecessary if you are trying to keep soft corals. A 150 watt 14k bulb MH would be ideal if you ask me. 150 watts is PLENTY in that size tank and the 14k bulb will give you a great balance between color and growth and it wont boil your water either.

You definitely do NOT want 250W over the 20L! Too much for Zoas.

I use a Current 2x40W PC on my 20 tall on my Zoa grow out tank. The tank has a 4" DSB and some of the Zoas are on the sand bed!

I've been looking around at lighting options for my 29 for a grow out/prop tank. I've had great growth and color with T5 lighting (6x54) on my main tank (75), so I naturally leaned that way on my smaller tank. I think, however, I'll have better growth/results/color if I go with a 4 or 4 bulb VHO setup.

I'm shopping around now for different VHO retrofit kits, and I'll have to make a hood for it.

Back