Lighting for NEW AQUARIUM!!!

Reef Guy

I'm starting a new 60 gallon cube reef (Dimensions: 2' x 2' x 2' ). I haven't gotten the aquarium yet and I am searching for some lighting for the aquarium. I came across this Sfiligoi XR4 Infinity light fixture on aquariumpros.ca that I am very interested in. This fixture holds a 400w metal halide bulb, and 4 t5 bulbs. The problem is, the dimensions of the fixture are 60cm x 55cm, which is pretty much as large as the aquarium! I also know that these fixture reflect well. So my question is, would this fixture be too big for my aquarium.

showfull.php

heres a pic of the fixture

First off what kind of corals are you going to keep in it, as this may be to much light anyway. It shouldn't be to big for the aquarium though as the measurements are for the fixture not the bulbs.

I want to keep mostly sps in the aquarium, and some lps and softies which will lay on the bottom and in the rock work. I'm thinking it may be too big because the fixture is lighting up an entire 3' x 3' system in the picture perfectly and my aquarium will only be a 2' x 2'.

Way too much light for a 24" tall tank. A 250 watt will be more than enough. Do a google search on photoinhibition of corals.

Back