Lighting for Refugium

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGB

I plan on having a refugium on the back of my 60 (24 x 24 x 24)gallon tank. The refugium measures 6" wide x 15" along the back of the tank edge and 18" deep (7 gallons). I wanted to put some types of macro algae qith live sand and a few pieces of live rock. I was thinking about PCs for lighting. Hamilton Tech makes a mini system that measures 6" x 15" long and is 56 watts. I would have this light on opposite the main tank. I wanted to know what members opinions were on: 1. If this is enough wattage for macro algae to thrive, 2. Would MH be more appropriate, 3. Is this just a hair brained idea.
Thanks for any input.

That should be plenty of light. In fact, I've inquired about the same thing lately and most people seem to be just using a 60 or 75 watt incandescant light with a GE grow light from Walmart or wherever.

FOX

------------------
members.xoom.com/KoryFox/index.htm

Do you think it should shine down, therefore trying to reach the 18"bottom or should I shine it through the side? Maybe it just doesn't matter.
Thanks

i'm one of those that's been using a 75W incandescent flood light in my refugium (15 gallon). it's only 4 months, but the caulerpa seems to like the light a lot and is growing like mad.
my girlfriend is using a 60 grow lamp (also incandescent) on her 5.5g refugium. it's been 8 moths and all is doing well.
i'm sure a pc or mh will work very well too. but, IMHO, it's not worth the money since there will not be any corals in the refugium.

------------------
have a nice day
psychocoralchopper

come and visit my website:
http://www.geocities.com/psychocoralchopper/reeftopia_main.html

DGB;
I have a 36"L * 18"W * 12"D refugium that I light with 2 * 20W NO florescent. I harvest at least 2 gallons of algae out of it per
month.

I think A 175 MH will be like swatting a fly with a cannon. :) The 56 watt system sounds nice, but it sounds like overkill.

I am thinking a 15W NO with a growlux tube would be good and cost effective. Or maybe a 27W PC.

Just random thoughts;

DougL

------------------
http://sites.netscape.net/douglxyzzy

DGB,
I have a 10 galllon detached refugium. I used 4 X 9watt pc fixtures in it. My caulerpa grows great in it. I also use this tank for coral cutting grow-out. The 9watt fixtures are really cheap and 5500k daylight bulbs can be had at any Home Depot fo $4.00 a piece. Two of the bulbs are actintic.
The light penitrates very well to the bottom of the tank and the bulbs don't create much heat. Your refugium is a little deeper than my tank. Their compact profile also makes them easy to mount.
Just my .02
Nemo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back