Lighting needs for clams

eco170

I have realy stayed away from keeping clams because of there lighting needs. However in the past month or so I have seen some tanks, such as the tank of the month that only have about 3-5 watts per gallon and they seem to keep them. My tank has PC's and runs at 8 watts per gallon. The tank has not been running long enough to attempt a clam yet but I was wondering if it was possible to keep one with that lighting.
CustomSeaLife PC 2 40watt lights, one 10k and 1 Actinic & Moon-lite

Hi,
Firstly, the watts per gallon rule is bunk.
By using that system I can hang 10, 100 watt regular household light bulbs over my 75 gallon and say I have over 13 watts a gallon.
Most corals and all clams would die.
Or I can put 2 x 250 watts (500) of metal halide and have only 6.6 watts per gallon and could keep about anything.
Get it? ;)
Second, if you have a 46 gallon tank and only 80 watts of light, where did you get 8 watts per gallon?
I calculate that at only 1.73 watts per gallon.

Either way, that is too low IMO.

It's only a 10 gallon nano. That's how I got 8 watts per gallon. I highly dout I would put a clam in the ten, but I'm just trying to get a ball park of how much light I would need, min. Also how small is to small of a tank to think about keeping clams. I'v seen people keep them in tens, but that dosn't make it right.

Last edited:
SeanT said:
Hi,
Firstly, the watts per gallon rule is bunk.
By using that system I can hang 10, 100 watt regular household light bulbs over my 75 gallon and say I have over 13 watts a gallon.
Most corals and all clams would die.
Or I can put 2 x 250 watts (500) of metal halide and have only 6.6 watts per gallon and could keep about anything.
Get it? ;)
Second, if you have a 46 gallon tank and only 80 watts of light, where did you get 8 watts per gallon?
I calculate that at only 1.73 watts per gallon.

Either way, that is too low IMO.
You mentioned why the watts per gallon is debunk but ??
What is needed to keep clams? Temp range of bulb???

eco170 said:
It's only a 10 gallon nano.
Ahh I was going by the tank in your sig line. ;)

Temp range I would say between 6500k and 20k.
I may be wrong on that but I have kept mine under 6.5k, 10k and 20k halides.
Still have all my clams. :)
Many keep them successfully under VHO's. I have never attempted to keep them under strictly VHO's
Only halides and now halides with VHO supplementation.
I imagine if the tank wasn't too deep you could get by with some species of clams with PC's but, personally, I feel that just N.O. lighting too risky.

Why pay up to $250 (in some cases - Teardrop Maxima's) for a clam and risk keeping it under a $30 lighting setup?

Well hopefully SeanT he wont purchase a 250$ dollar clam on his first try.

If you are dead set on purchasing a clam and I agree with you I have seen a lot of nano tanks with clams in the 3.5 to 5 watts per gallon rule. Many of those clams though are 1 inch to 1.5 inch clams and get most of their nutrition from phytoplankton and do not need intense light.

Even so H. Hippopus really doesnt need that much light and T. Deresa and T. Squamosa can survive in pc, but and I stress this SeanT is right even with the Deresas and Squams your taking a chance just not as big of one like the Maximas and Croceas.

Thank you guy's, you have been a big help. I spotted some 2" er's at the LFS for $30- $45. Not sure what kind they where.

Keep in mind that it is recommended to feed clams under approx 3". Larger clams do fine w/photosynth. I bought a 3"+ squamosa as my 1st clam & it's been doing fine for some months now.

Back