Lighting

alexacg

Wanting a challenge for my next reef project, I selected an Oceanic 144 gallon half-round aquarium. I have been keeping reefs for many years, and normally am quite comfortable in making lighting selections, but could use some advice on this one. I plan to keep SPS corals in this tank. The tank measures 57 (L) X29(W) X29(H). The water column will have a depth of 27” when operating. The tank has two main openings at the top that measure 22 7/8” (L) X 16.5” (W) separated by a 2” brace. They have MegaFlow overflows at the back of each opening that extend 6 inches from the back of the tank into the openings. I want to avoid light entering these as much as possible. That leaves two openings measuring 17” (L) X 16.5” (W) for light to enter. Along each side is another smaller opening measuring 13.5” (L) x 5” (W) where additional light can enter. There is 48” of height above the top of the aquarium to suspend lighting. I was considering two 400W HQI MH pendants and two 13 X 5 fixtures with PC’s for the sides. I realize the small PC fixtures will not provide a lot of light on the ends of the tank. Can you make a recommendation for lighting on this tank?

Tank design can be seen here http://www.oceanicsystems.com/products/half-circle.php

Thanks,
Garrett

Re: Lighting

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14516291#post14516291 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by alexacg
I want to avoid light entering these as much as possible. That leaves two openings measuring 17” (L) X 16.5” (W) for light to enter... I was considering two 400W HQI MH pendants and two 13 X 5 fixtures with PC’s for the sides. I realize the small PC fixtures will not provide a lot of light on the ends of the tank. Can you make a recommendation for lighting on this tank?
I'm not Sanjay, but I have a couple of suggestions. For your desire not to have light inside the overflows, why not simply make a small cover for the top of the overflow boxes out of an opaque acrylic. This would also prevent fish from jumping into the overflow. As far as the PCs go, I have recently tried the SunPaq actinic with 1/2 460nm & 1/2 420nm. Compared to all the other PC actinics I've tried, these really make the colors pop.

Thanks for responding. The overflows aren't really the issue. I'm looking for advice on lighting. Can you help here?

Back