Lights

gareth.hubbarde

Hi guys, am wondering about lights in my aquarium. Currently I use 4 t5 bulbs @54w each. They are setup in pairs of 2 blue bulbs and a 50/50 with a marine white. Apparently these bulbs should be replaced annually, is there a reason behind this other than making the manufacturer money? Next year I was contemplating switching to

https://www.swelluk.com/aquarium-systems-t5-led-marine-blue-actinic-8w-19w/

https://www.swelluk.com/aquarium-systems-t5-led-marine-white-18000k-8w-19w/

But I can't find any reviews about these led lights that fit in place of my t5 bulbs.

Are they any good? For approx £100 I can replace 4 t5 bulbs with 2 blue 2 white leds that use less power and should last longer.
Are they worth getting or would I be better staying with my t5 bulbs?

I simply cannot afford to go and buy a ready made led unit costing £300 upwards. I also quite like having a hood on my tank, helps with evaporation and keeps the fish where they are supposed to be. So retrofitting bulbs in the same spot seems like a no brainer to me.

If money were no object I'd have a bigger tank with a sump (currently not present) with fancy led lights.
If anyone could recommend a reasonably priced led rig that would fit over my 48 inch tank I'd obviously consider.

Anyway thanks so much for taking the time to read this and I welcome any feedback.

aquarium

300l (80g) tank
36 kg crushed coral and aragonite substrate
40kg live rock
Deltec mce600 skimmer
1000lph filter pump
Filter floss
1 2800 lph pump,( hydor koralia 3200)
1x hydor koralia 1600 pump

1 algae blenny
1 kole tang
1 long nose Hawk fish
1 Royal gramma

1 strawberry conch
3 nassarius snails
1 boxer shrimp
6 small red legged hermits
1 Mexican turbo snail
1 tuxedo urchin
1 tube anemone
1 peppermint shrimp
ec2d023764aafc160ab4e6c8b3b1d985.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

With age the color spectrum shifts and algae grows more rapidly. Additionally the light intensity decreases. I reccomend the ATI bulbs and just replacing one bulb every 3 months. This way you spread the cost across the year as well as reduce the shock of sudden light intensity increase.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

With age the color spectrum shifts and algae grows more rapidly. Additionally the light intensity decreases. I reccomend the ATI bulbs and just replacing one bulb every 3 months. This way you spread the cost across the year as well as reduce the shock of sudden light intensity increase.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
What ati bulbs? Don't think we have them in UK.

Ati bulbs won't fit in my hood, the bulbs I need are 54w but 1047mm in length. It's the aquarium manufacturer way to make sure you use their bulbs. Grr.

No one uses those bulbs, at least on this side of the Atlantic.

T5s are a great lighting option, but those strange dimensions are making it tough.

With t5s in my tank they are either on or off, no dimming etc. Obviously fancy leds have a wake up cycle, sleep cycle etc.
Is this a problem to just be on or off? I do turn the blues on first for 2 hours, then add the whites for 4 hours then blues only for 2 hours. Best I can do.

No problem at all. T5s are great. Lots of people consider them to produce better quality light than LED.

If you had a more standard fixture, we could give you recs about brand and bulb combinations. ATI and Giesemann are the most popular. Is there a way to rig your current fixture to accept the standard length bulbs?

No problem at all. T5s are great. Lots of people consider them to produce better quality light than LED.

If you had a more standard fixture, we could give you recs about brand and bulb combinations. ATI and Giesemann are the most popular. Is there a way to rig your current fixture to accept the standard length bulbs?
Don't see how, I'm no good with electronic things, am guessing I'd have to either shorten or lengthen the distance between the holders. Be quite an engineering job and out of my skill set unfortunately. I believe the standard length is either 900mm or 1200mm. Mine being 1047 means I'm stuck in the middle. Very annoying. Shortening be and option or extending the connector on a 900mm bulb?

Back