lights

fredman

I have a 20 long and just bought some used pc lights 2x 96 watt x 2 with 18 inch reflectors. Now the questions. these things get hot so how high above the water should they go? They are a retro fit kit so I will install a fan in the hood I will build. can I put them slightly on edge in a v shape?Where to buy new bulbs/four prong type? Thanks Fred

fwiw, PC are the alot cooler than most other bulbs in the hobby, I've never needed fans or anything when running just PC's. Also, all of them are 4 pronged....but you have square pin style and straight pin style...both with 4 prongs. A v shape wouldn't hurt anything but you angle them and may loose a little of the light coming in from the reflectors. My PC over my 20g long sit roughly 4 inches over the tanks edge if that helps.

lights

Helps. I didn't go with MH because of the heat. Those get hot. I know that I will lose some of the light by using a V shape but if I use both sets of bulbs in the hood I should have plenty of light. 192watts total.For $60 I am a happy guy. They are square type of pin. Fred

My PCs are only 3 inches above a glass top and they are fine with a fan blowing even in the Texas summer heat. However, since they are retro, I would mount about 6 inches above.

Back