Little Intro

Chiefsurfer

Hey guys, joined about 7 months ago. Seems I haven't even posted yet. I joined when I was going to try and set up my 55 Gallon tank. Spent TONS of time reading info everywhere including here. I went out and bought a 30 gallon mechanical filter, figured this would help in the beginning stages on picking up foreign floating matter and solids in the tank, to then be removed after my tank settled, or when I got everything set-up, just like a 1/2 gallon hang-on addition where bacteria can cling and grow and have no filtering media. Also got a 4-tube Compact flourescent with 3-led moon-lights from cora-life. I know that setting up saltwater is costly, but think this $500 light was a pretty large investment. Also spent like 12 hours cleaning and scrubbing the tank(little dirty from sitting in my friends shed). Bought the stand, put a new lid piece to the tank(the plastic piece that goes on the glass, the middle-support piece was broken), read reviews on some great stuff, also bought the HOB AquaC-Remora with the 1200 pump. Another $200. So in total, spent about $1,000 on equip. This is over about a 2 month period from when I got the tank, to getting the stand, the lighting, the skimmer, etc. I was then told by my landlord that I can't have it. REAL BUMMER. He doesn't care about having a tank, just not something so big, thinks it will break and flood the apartment.

Basically, I just got a 20 gallon that I was going to use as FW tank, but thinking more and more about making a nano out of it. I am sure I can re-use the AquaC, but the lighting would have to be swapped out.

Any criticisms or suggestions would be very welcomed. I am thinking of getting the same lighting in the 24" width.

[welcome]

I'm sure all the reefers on this forum can help you get started in this fabulous hobby. Might hope to re-post your specific questions. Sounds like you've been planning a 55gal and are now switching to a 20gal and wondering what of your existing equipment will work?

Too bad about the landlord. Consider getting renters insurance that covers you in the event of an overflow. Otherwise, just get 55 1 gallon picos and plumb them together. :) Welcome to RC!

Yeah, no need for the renters insurance, my house has flooded a few times from seawater from storms, so a little more is no issue. He's just old and crabby.

As to my "question" I guess I was looking for an explenation of whether my set-up was good, and YES, if i can still use some of it. I also posed the question in the equipmrnt area.

thank you for your responses. Much appreciated. Once I get to setting up, I will post pictures.

Back