Live Rock Hitchiker - ID please

reef_researcher

These little corals came on my live rock, can you please help me ID them? The two small whitich circular objects right next eachother are the same as the open ones above.
Thanks

March25th2006-053.jpg

I can't be sure because I'm fairly new to the hobby, but they look very similar to some smaller button polyups that I have.

Those are some type of zoanthid or protopalythoa. The grow well in most aquariums. Good lighting and flow will encorage their growth and good coloration.

Good lighting and flow will encorage their growth and good coloration.

By good do you mean strong? I've noticed that they prefer low current. They were all closed for a couple weeks until we changed out current (for other corals) and it resulted in a low current region around these guys and they've been getting better since

I think by good he means a high volume of water but not in direct path of a current. Almost any coral will suffer when in the direct path of a return/powerhead.

I had a few just like that hitch on a piece of rock in my tank, with proper placement I have gotten them to bloom well.

Nice freebie...

---ttomkat1

I have a 50gal no sump :mad: I am using bioball w/carbon for filtration.

1 10k bulb 96 watts
1 Antic bulb 96 watts
Using internal pumps pushing water across.

I usually place them fairly high as I don't have a lot of extra lighting. I try to place them with where the individual zooas are touching other pieces of rocks. So far I have 2 main blooms and several small stragglers here and there.

I usually suppliment feeding w/bio plankton every other day and that helps a lot.

Will try to take a pics pics of them later...

--ttomkat1

Back