Help Identifying Zooplankton/Copepod

I am having trouble identifying one type of zooplankton I have in my reef tank. I have looked around the internet at picture ID guides and am having a hard time nailing these little guys down so I'm not even sure if they are technically copepods or something else. They have more of a chiton like body shape than my other copepod varieties.

They are actually probably the largest variety of zooplankton in my tank. They are most commonly seen at the base of my live rock at the transition point with the sand bed. I also have some small rocks and shell debris in my sand and I often see a dozen of them on the underside of these smaller rocks when I flip them over.

The ones in the picture were plucked off of a used filter sock that had just been pulled out of the tank. I had to use the sharp point of a dental scraper to pry them from the filter sock and they are pictured inside a small 1/2 cup measuring cup. Any help identifying these would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 20240302_090300.jpg
    20240302_090300.jpg
    853.2 KB · Views: 13
Interesting, looks like some kind of copepod. What kind, I’m not sure.

I have old eyes, but are you sure it's not a flatworm?
I am fairly certain they are not flat worms. When they are upside down you can see tiny little legs moving. I am really just curious more than anything. I have no reason to believe they are harmful as they have been in my tank since I first began seeing copepods on the live rock and they have not done any harm yet.

Back