Live Rock Question

FishDoc

I just got my shipment of rock, 150 lbs and put it into my tank to cycle. It was loaded with life, and I have some questions about what to do with some of the life. I would tend to say if I don't know what it is for sure, it isn't going into the tank for fear of introducing predators down the line (crabs, starfish, brittlestars, snails). Is that the best advice, or should I put it all in and not worry about it?

if you are too worried, then give it a high salinity dip or freshwater dip. high salinity dip is prefered, say 1.3. this will pull all unwanted criters off and some good as well. then you can go through the bucket and deside what critters ar reef safe.

Well, it's too late for the dip for the rock, it is in the tank. I picked off crabs and starfish that I could see or that were in the water the rock came in. I actually stuck them in a 10 gal tank to hold. My problem is I don't know for sure what is reef safe and what might not be?

What to do

What to do

If you get any die off, such as sponges that develop a white covering or any oblivious die off, remove the rock and scrape them off.......

Anytime you get anything that looks like it on the way out remove it, as the cycle will be much easier.......like sponges, some will just not make it in captivity, and must be removed. Use your nose, if it smells bad it is bad, scrape it off.

The majority of the life does great, but proper management during the cycle is mandatory.....

The crabs and extra life, I would wait on that, you can get any unwanted critters later as the are good guys , like porcelain crabs too...
Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

any questions, give us a call
1-813-875-3574:rollface:

Richard

Thanks for your post and advice. Could you please look at that last sentence and re-type? It doesn't make sense to me. I think there maybe a couple of typos that destroy the meaning.

Thanks,
Roy

Never could spell, but grow rocks real well!

Never could spell, but grow rocks real well!

In other words, don't worry about the critters unless they cause a problem...

Richard TBS:rollface:

Never Dip!!!

Never Dip!!!

BTW
When unpacking our rock, NEVER do anything other that unpack it, place on floor for 20 min. and put in tank.....usually in those 20 min , most mantis shrimp will hop out....otherwise deal with them later, do not stresss your rock needlessly..............

Never ever dip in hi saline-fresh water-soda water ect.....do not do it!

You want the life on your rock to be alive, do not do anything to stress it!

Thanks
Richard TBS
:rollface:

my rock has been in my tank for about 3 weeks now.. i could 3 crabs as hichikers.. they are smaller than a dime and all 3 of them are white.. but they seem to have 1 set of claws.. rather than filter-scooper claws as porcelain crabs have.

any idea what these are? i got 3 in 15 lbs of rock, so they must be pretty common.

regards,
jib

they all appear to be totally white.. i dont see any red on any of them at all.

one is larger than the other, and seems more prickly on the body and the legs.. the other one i can really see has a smooth shell, and possibly white legs with black stripes..

cant see the 3rd one much, spends too much time hiding in a cave in the LR

but either way, i dont see any red on either one. i thouht the larger one was a hairy crab.. but its totally white, not brown or red.

sorry i dont have a digital camera yet..

also , my nitrites have climbed down to .5 ppm. when should i call for the 2nd half of my package? when the ammonia AND the nitirte are 0 ? nothing in the packaging says anything about nitrite levels.. just ammonia.. my ammonia has been 0 for over a week now.

regards,
jib

Sounds like red reef crabs, if they cause a problem, get them!

If your ammonia is gone, you are ready for the second 1/2....you will always ahve some nitrate, 10-30 ppm is normal...the Gulf runs 25-35ppm all the time!
Thanks
Richard TBS

Hey, Tampa Bay Saltwater. 80% of my shipment from one year ago is alive and doing very well in my ten gallon tank. Thank you for the introduction to reef keeping.
"Hi" to Mary, my reef tank set up heroine. I'll be setting up a bigger tank later this year and will be in touch. I'd like to suggest to you guys... When new reefers call you with questions tell them about "Reef Central" and "Nano Reef.com." They'll be glad you did. Kenny (in Brooklyn)

Thanks for the feedback, we really appreciate it!

I am busy getting the boat ready for a Gulf stream crossing....I am going to Bimini by boat in a couple of weeks, will let you know how clear the water is over there when I get back!
Thanks
Richard TBS:rollface:

www.tbsaltwater.com

Back