Live rock, still a dogma?

quit feeding so much dag-gone food to your fish.

fed them what they can 100% consume in 3minutes or less. Food still left floating around after 3mins? BONK! Tooooooooo much food.

less bioload = happier fish = less things DYING :dance:

I fail to see how this contributes to a discussion on live rock.

Dogma or trying to reinvent the wheel?

Back in 1961, Lee Chin Eng wrote about keeping marine animal, mainly fish, using sand and rock he collected from the sea as filtration. He was ridicules until the day he died because people said they cannot reproduce this in their tanks.

I have keep marine aquarium in the late 70's using dolomite sands reverse UGF and lava rocks. I added bristle worms (beg for them when i saw some in the gravels at Fintique, a LFS in San Antonio) into the dolomite sands. Using these I was able to keep a variety of invertebrates and Macro-algae. I was very proud of my rudimentary aquariums in those days. However, these old aquarium were nothing compare to current variety and array of animals we keep today. Live rock, plus other technology were the reason why we can do it.

Try to reinvent the wheel if you want. Having tried everything, I stick with what works. I currently keep one of my QT system, i keep several QT systems, with nothing but sand, rock, algae, heater, air stone, light and PH, and water change. This is where I keep very sensitive fish, trying to get them to eat and get use to captive live.

Back