Live sand and cold weather?

aquaman05

I need to purchase a bag of live sand for my new tank setup. Seems as if all the lfs are out and needs to be ordered. I'm guessing getting stuff shipped this time of year in the Midwest "live" might be a bad idea ? Will I be ok or will I be paying for live sand that's not?
Thank you

I started with dry rocks and sand so I don't have experience with purchasing live sands.

But what I heard was that people buy live Rick/sand because they have *living and dead* little creatures in them so when you started cycling, things that still living and dead (nutrients) on the rock and in the sand will help speed up the process. But definitely if some bacteria is alive when arrive your tank, it will offer you some help as well. So, I personally wouldn't worry too much about the cold weather.

Just my thoughts. Hope it helps a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started with dry rocks and sand so I don't have experience with purchasing live sands.

But what I heard was that people buy live Rick/sand because they have *living and dead* little creatures in them so when you started cycling, things that still living and dead (nutrients) on the rock and in the sand will help speed up the process. But definitely if some bacteria is alive when arrive your tank, it will offer you some help as well. So, I personally wouldn't worry too much about the cold weather.

Just my thoughts. Hope it helps a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might just order a bag from petco and see what happens, thanks for the reply!

did you check the internet for online vendors? If you live somewhat close to a major city, I would assume there would be many options for overnight delivery. Since the pandemic started, many places offer delivery service that never offered before.

Personally I also use local online classifieds as much as possible. Again, If you are near a major city, there should be some local reef websites for hobbyists, even kijiji works. Here you can find people getting our of the hobby and selling their live sand and rocks, you can also post an add asking to buy a cupful of their sand, I've seen adds like that before. And of course its a great way to get cheap frags. I also like it cause I get to meet like-minded hobbyists, before the pandemic we could show each other our tanks, but now its all curbside.

In this hobby I would suggest to rely on your LFS as little as possible, just my 2 cents. Good luck

lethal temps for a tank are about 62 F. (Been to the threshold and back.) Sand bacteria (like any life or chemical process) go slower at low temps and generate some heat of their own. There is one problem with dry sand---dust. I have sat out in the garden for hours washing dry sand with the hose, pouring off 'white' water until I got clear --- from about 5 lbs of sand per go. It's my impression you don't have the dust with live sand. In winter months no place for rinsing is an issue.

One more thought- short of "live" from the get-go, playing the waiting game with your tank means eventually, it will be live. Certainly by warmer months your tank will have had time to work out all the kinks and get the parameters set, such that you could introduce things then, if needed.

I've used live it the past. I'll be getting some sand in the tank anyway since it's a used system I just want to add some to it. And yes rinsing outside right now sucks since it's cold. Thanks for all the info guys !!

Back