Liverock Question - Water

jay24k

Quick question. I went down there and bought my package a couple months ago. The only odd thing is I can't seem to get rid of the floating particles. They aren't air but floating detrius I guess. Any suggestions? I've tried carbon filters on a hang on biowheel minus the wheel. I've tried carbon. I have tried an attachment on a powerhead. If I turn off my skimmer and powerhead they just stay suspended in the water. This didn't happen till my second batch. All parameters are fine and my fish are fine. Occasionally I'll see something squirt out some white stuff that floats to the top too.

On another note, hairy hitchhiker crabs... how dangerous are they? I've found two and one is a couple inches big. I don't want him to snap a fish or two. How do you recommend removing them if I need to? I've heard of the glass at an angle but will they bother blue legs if they get trapped in it with them?

Thanks for any advice as the rock is wonderful.

floatie stuff?

floatie stuff?

You got me on the floating stuff, never heard this one before....

Crabs.....alll crabs are bad except the flat purple ones that fan the current, any others, get them when you can...thay do not bite!
Richard TBS

Thanks. I'm going to try running the water through a micron sock again and see. So I can grab a hairy crab with my hands and it won't bite? or they won't bite the fish?

Back