Lobo Recovery

Michael_

Hey guys,

My mother bought me a receded lobo coral on clearance at the reef store for 25 a few months ago. It's a pretty large coral, and if I could get the flesh to recover and take over the skeleton, it could probably raise the value to a couple hundred. The flesh has not progressed at all in growing back onto the skeleton since we got it, it seems to just extend in the flesh it has and nothing more. It does not look diseased or anything, but the flesh is too small for it to eat which is why I believe it's not growing. Do you guys have any advice on how to get a receded lobo to grow back into it's skeleton and start eating again? Should I inject coral food into the small mouths of it with a syringe?

Thanks in advance,
Michael.

do NOT force feed it. low flow, medium light and leave it alone for a while. if you broadcast feed, or see tentacles coming out, then it's OK to feed it, but please don't force feed it! I had a lobo that sounds like it started out like yours, and it's my favorite LPS in the tank now. As long as it doesn't continue to recede it should be fine.

Back