Local Acrylic/Glass source

iflyprops

Does anyone know of anywhere locally that will cut glass or acrylic to specs? I am about to build a 10g sump/fuge out of an AGA 10g (I know its small but its all I have room for under my 29g) and need a source for someone locally.

Thanks!
Adam

Casselberry glass is a good place to go use them for my sump, but make sure you let them know what its for and how you want the edges cause they sanded my edges, which would be bad if i was using it to build the tank, i was only using them for baffles.

In Oviedo

In Oviedo

There's two places, and I have used them both.

Oviedo Glass, and Guy's Glass.

They are within walking distance from each other, almost at the center of town (cross of SR 419 and SR 434)

Home Depot will cut glass for free if you buy it there, but I have never seen anything available thick enough for this application.

BM

For baffles, you don't need anything thicker. I use it in a 40 breeder pushing 900 gph through. Due to pressure being on both sides of the glass, you don't need the thicker unless you are building a tank. For just baffles, there is no need.

you are right

you are right

I should have read his post better.

I had the impression he was building even the sump box out of the same glass.

BM

Nope, just using it for baffles in an el cheapo AGA 10gallon :) What thickness would be appropriate? I was thinking something in the 1/8" range...or maybe slightly thicker so "I" don't break it! LOL

for a 10 gallon the lowes glass would probaly work but mine was a 55 gallon sump with a refugium that is alot higher water level than the sump itself so i decided to get thicker glass.

I home depot near me didnt cut glass and the lowes only had real thin window glass so I went with a company.

yes

yes

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6919359#post6919359 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iflyprops
Nope, just using it for baffles in an el cheapo AGA 10gallon :) What thickness would be appropriate? I was thinking something in the 1/8" range...or maybe slightly thicker so "I" don't break it! LOL

what they have at the HD or Lowes should be fine. They also have plexiglass if you are afraid of it breaking.

BM

Thats true, acrylic is also an option. What would you use to glue the baffles in though, I was under the impression that silicon wouldn't stick to acrylic.

thanks,
Adam

it does

it does

...but to a lesser extent than to glass.

You could not build a tank with silicone and plexiglass, but for some baffles it's ok. My sump right now is glass and it has a plexiglass baffle secured with silicone. It is a 30 gal sump.

In a smaller 10 gal tank I do not see it being a problem.

BM

Back