How thick acrylic for 30"x18"x13" build???? What type of acrylic? Acrylic vs glass?

What thickness of acrylic would be good to build an aquarium that's 30"x18"x13".

There seem to be different types of acrylic. Which one would I want?

What are your thoughts about acrylic versus glass?

They seem easy to build/glue? Is it harder than it looks?

13” tall would be fine with 1/4” acrylic, but you should be familiar with what it takes to cut and assemble the panels. I’d suggest building a small ‘sump’ first, to test your ability with, before starting on a display tank.

If you’re not accustomed to dealing with acrylic, I’d probably go with glass. It’s pretty easy to work with, and silicone is forgiving. There’s actually a good video on YouTube using shelving glass from ikea. It’s tempered glass, and the edges are pre-polished.

13” tall would be fine with 1/4” acrylic, but you should be familiar with what it takes to cut and assemble the panels. I’d suggest building a small ‘sump’ first, to test your ability with, before starting on a display tank.

GREAT! I just found a great deal on 3/8" clear cast acrylic sheets. Is cast acrylic the correct type?

for a 30"x18"x13" rimless tank with 3/8" acrylic, would I need bracing. What type would you recommend (eurobracing, one inch piece of 3/8" across the middle? I'd love to avoid bracing if possible.

Back