Look-My Zoa's (Questions)

WantaBeReefer

3465235%3C4%7Ffp343%3Enu%3D3238%3E5%3A%3A%3E54%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D323357%3B69982%3Cnu0mrj

My zoa's have 2 skirts around every polyp. I am not sure if this is a common occurance or not. I have fragged the few that I have any I have about 10 polyps growing from the frag. All of them have 2 skirts as well. What makes this happen? They did not have 2 skirts when I first purchased them. There was about 50 polyps and they got overrun by some type of branching coraline. The few that I saved have developed 2 skirts. They have been like this for about 5 months now.

Last edited:
I have seen a few others on this forum with double skirts lately. I have no idea what causes it, but it is way cool.

Scott

Double-skirted Zoanthids

Double-skirted Zoanthids

Hi guys, new to the forum. I have a marine biology degree and took an advanced marine invertebrate zoology course when I was in school a year ago. We learned in there that one of the characteristics of zooanthids is that they have a double row of tentacles. This serves as a great quick and dirty way of distinguishing zoas from certain colonial anemones that you might find out on the reef (don't think these are found in the reef trade btw). Anyhow, if my text book is correct, all zoanthids should have a double skirt. On some, like the beauty in the picture, it may be more obvious that it is on others. Sometimes most of the tentacles seem to be swept underneath, and in a dense colony, it may look like your zoas only have a single skirt. Hope this helps!

Back