Looking for a different T5 color combo...

fast57

I use 2 icecap 660 balasts on 8 bulbs in a 125g tank. I just received my new bulbs from reefgeek about a week and a half ago. I ordered the same color combo that I've always used with my T5's but something seems different. The colors don't seem to pop like they always did. Is it possible that one of the brands changed something in the way they make them? My blues used to be bluer and same with my purples. So what I'm looking to do is change maybe 1 bulb out of each row of 4 and keep or expand my corals growth rate. I have sps, lps, zoas and a clam. I also dont want to much of a blue to where it looks fake. I like corals natural colors but i also like it slightly enhanced. Here's the bulbs that are in there now... Which one would you Change to enrich the colors a bit?
Uvl...super actinic
Uvl... Actinic white
Uvl... Aqua sun
Giesman...aqua blue plus

Honestly? All of them. I might keep the Gmann Aqua Blue but that is even a stretch.

You are overdriving your bulbs and the actinic will be shot in about 3-4 months if it is properly cooled. Overdriven bulbs last about 6-7 months on average if cooled properly with some good fans and proper location.

You have a ton of red in your setup as well. The Actinic White and Aqua Sun are both very pink bulbs and that could be hurting a little. You simply need more blue light.

If you like a more yellow look I would go with 2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 ATI Purple Plus and 1 GE 6500k. Also remember to acclimate your corals properly. New bulbs have a ton more PAR than old bulbs and you can crash your tank if not careful.

May I ask where you came up with your timeline about bulb life? I've used the same color combo for around 4 years now. I only replace the bulbs once a year and even at the end of there year the coral still grow at a high rate. I've always liked this combo but something just seems different this time. So what you saying is that overdriven t5's only last 6 months or so? I'll tell you from 4 years personal experience that that's not true.

May I ask where you came up with your timeline about bulb life? I've used the same color combo for around 4 years now. I only replace the bulbs once a year and even at the end of there year the coral still grow at a high rate. I've always liked this combo but something just seems different this time. So what you saying is that overdriven t5's only last 6 months or so? I'll tell you from 4 years personal experience that that's not true.

From the dozens of tests using PAR meters to determine the luminous decay of a bulb. We don't use bulbs until they burn out. You could go two years or more if that were the case.

Certain phosphors have a life expectancy. Blue and actinic phosphors are all but shot around the 10-12 month mark using spec T5 ballasts. Overdriving decreases this life.

I can tell you from 6 years of experience and personally using T5s, that one year for an overdriven bulb is too long.

Just sharing my experience and research. I've spent thousands of hours researching and studying this exact topic.

Back