Looking for an alternative to LR

Smitty750

I'm looking to start another tank but I'd like to use rock that's not taken from an actual ocean reef. I'd like to go green if you will and not contribute to the destruction of natural wonders. I've seen Real Reef rocks but I'm not too sure about the purple color, what else is there?

What about dry rock? Something such as marco rocks. I believe they are taken from a limestone quarry or extinct reef, something along the lines of that in Florida.

There is also Bulk Reef Supply's reef saver rock that is quarried. Reef rocks also does the same thing, and you can get 50lb boxes shipped to your door for like $85.

Tampabaysaltwater.com takes quarried rock and puts it in a plot of ocean floor and lets it become live rock over the years. It looks like it has a ton of life on it, comes packed in water, and doesn't harm reefs.

There are also some companies that make custom ceramic rock in the shapes you want. It looks really nice, but I've got no idea what kind of cost is associated.

check out ceramic rocks, IMHO the surface area for nitrifying bacteria are going to be much greater within the ceramic rocks than the "real reef" rock , and you can also check out tampa bay saltwater live rock, they mariculture live rock at sites in florida

+1 for reefsaver rock from BRS or from Reef Rocks. Have their product right now and am very impressed. While it is still being harvested from the earth at least it isn't destroying a reef. Out of curiosity is it the dying of the rocks that you don't like from Real Reef Rocks or the color they dyed it?

I'm ok with it coming from the earth I just don't like when a natural reef is destroyed to sell rock. It sort of goes against the very hobby we all love

I use a lot of local limestone. It's pretty cheap at $0.10 - $0.20 lb. But before you beat yourself up over using live rock read this report by the UN: http://www.unep.org/PDF/From_Ocean_To_Aquarium_report.pdf From page 9

"The aquarium industry as a whole is of relatively low volume yet very high value, thus potentially providing an incentive to conserve reef habitats and offering a livelihood to coastal communities often living in low-income areas. In 2000, 1 kg of aquarium fish from the Maldives was valued at almost US$500, whereas 1 kg of reef fish harvested for food was worth only US$6. Similarly, the live coral trade is estimated to be worth about US$7,000 per tonne whereas the use of harvested coral for the production of limestone yields only about US$60 per tonne. In Palau, live rock is exported for the aquarium trade at US$2.2 to US$4.4 per kilo whereas it is sold locally as construction material for less than US$0.02 per kilo. Sri Lanka earns about US$5.6 million a year by exporting reef fish to around 52 countries and estimates indicate that 50,000 people are directly involved in the export of marine ornamentals. In the Philippines, about 7,000 collectors depend on the reefs for their livelihood"

Live rock is also a renewable resource being formed in as little as a few years.

Use Texas Holey Rock (dry rock obtained from land), and seed with a small amount of farmed rock (such as that from Tampa Bay Saltwater). It takes a few months, but then you have full tank of live calcium carbonate rock without dye or harming a reef.

I look at it this way, If you buy liverock- then you have a chance to save that part of the sea. If you do not buy it- then it will be made into concrete or gravel for the island roads. I am not a big fan of dry rock- or the florida rock. Again to be green- buy pacific liverock from another hobbiest, and thereby recycle it. That way nothing is being removed from land or sea.

I look at it this way, If you buy liverock- then you have a chance to save that part of the sea. If you do not buy it- then it will be made into concrete or gravel for the island roads. I am not a big fan of dry rock- or the florida rock. Again to be green- buy pacific liverock from another hobbiest, and thereby recycle it. That way nothing is being removed from land or sea.

If you buy pacific live rock, from hobbyist or who ever for that matter it had to be removed from the, "œland or sea" at some point eh? No roads made from live rock around here. :uzi:

Do you need a definition of recycling? Last I checked hawaii wasnt a third world rock exporting country.

Back