Looking for an ID

subversion

Was labeled as "lime green mantis shrimp" at my lfs. It's about 7cm long. Two red spots on tail, purple on its antennal scale. Can't see a spot on its raptoral appendage. Definitely a smasher.

Youtube video of it:

Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20221221_025604982~2.jpg
    PXL_20221221_025604982~2.jpg
    538.1 KB · Views: 22
Very cool! Thanks so much!

Edit: aren't Squilla mantises spearers? This one is definitely a smasher, it's been punching my crabs.

Last edited:
So looking at the top down picture it does appear that your mantis shrimp has more spear like appendages than that of a club.
He's definitely got clubs. I haven't been able to get a clear picture but I can see them when he's peeking out of his burrow and you can sort of see him punch the crab in the video.

Dr Roy's ID list shows all Squilla have spears. I went through it again and I'm actually considering:

This one here. The eyes are similar, the size fits, the tail is reddish pink on mine, and the antennal scales are a purple-blue color, meaning mine is a female. What do you think?

Attachments

• PXL_20221221_064018012.jpg
    PXL_20221221_064018012.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20221221_064101570.jpg
    PXL_20221221_064101570.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
Any idea where the mantis may have originated? It sounds like you have a match. I’ll throw out the Havana Mantis just to rule out.

1671740346149.jpeg

Any idea where the mantis may have originated? It sounds like you have a match. I’ll throw out the Havana Mantis just to rule out.

View attachment 32377120
That one is similar as well. No red spot on mine's antennal scale though, which Dr. Caldwell lists as an identifying feature. Could be japonicus too. At least we've narrowed the genus down!

No clue where it originated from unfortunately. The vendor is still insisting it's a "lime green mantis shrimp" and it "will turn green soon".

None of them have a white meral spot and purple on the antennal scales, so I highly doubt it'll turn green. But we'll see I guess!

Really cool find, I haven't seen one of those since stomatopod.com went down.

The antennal scales are a givaway its latirostris, they react to polarizing light dramatically.

They're basically the same care as O. havanensis, in other words very intolerate to oxygen inconsistencies and small traces of ammonia can kill them.

Last edited:
Back