Looking for chiller

boxtri

Hi, my corals are not happy with the temp of my water and need to get a chiller. Anyone who has one for sale please contact me.

Jim

Are you using a fan directly on the water. That worked for me.

This. My tank is in the garage and a fan blowing on the water keeps temps at about 82 when it's 96 in there. Granted I have a 10g tank but that gives you an idea.

Each lb of water evaporates with a latent heat of 970.4 BTUs. You can use that for comparison with various Chillers. Relative humidity will be the limiting factor for how much you can evaporate.

This guy uses a modified AC unit with a titanium pipe to cool his water, which is another option.

A 14 degree drop in temp just by blowing hot air over water? Water is typically cooler than the surrounding air but not generally 14 degrees.
Evaporation is great but your electronics hate it. Evaporating 4 to 5 gallons a day inside your home is not ideal.

We posted chiller builds very early in the 2000's splitting window a/c systems and using titanium coils. You really should have a qualified and certified hvac tech help you out. Hopefully you have a buddy in the business. I don't do them for home aquariums anymore.

A 14 degree drop in temp just by blowing hot air over water? Water is typically cooler than the surrounding air but not generally 14 degrees.
Evaporation is great but your electronics hate it. Evaporating 4 to 5 gallons a day inside your home is not ideal.

We posted chiller builds very early in the 2000's splitting window a/c systems and using titanium coils. You really should have a qualified and certified hvac tech help you out. Hopefully you have a buddy in the business. I don't do them for home aquariums anymore.

Where were you sourcing the titanoum coils?
I looked some time back about doing a split unit chiller and could only find stupid expensive prebuilt titanium coils, and read it was very difficult to solder titanium directly to copper tubing most used a compression fitting.

Found one

Found one

Thanks for the replies, I found a chiller and ended up buying a new sump, refugium, pumps and skimmer. A little plumbing and I've got a whole new setup, by coral and fish will be so happy!!!

Here ya go: this is from today. I wouldn't do this in your house, but hopefully your house isn't 95F. This is in my garage, the only place that works for me right now, so it was fun to see how far I could take it.

Edit: You'd need a huge fan and your garage would be moldy if you had a large tank.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 8.09.03 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 8.09.03 PM.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Glad you are up and running.
Sorry I am not allowed to be a lot of help here with my profession and past posts.
I have built a lot of chillers and Heat pumps of various sizes. I don't have fancy graphs but I have extremely happy friends I built for. I do not do aquarium anything for a business but I still can't say too much.

Glad you are up and running.
Sorry I am not allowed to be a lot of help here with my profession and past posts.
I have built a lot of chillers and Heat pumps of various sizes. I don't have fancy graphs but I have extremely happy friends I built for. I do not do aquarium anything for a business but I still can't say too much.

Sorry if I came across rude or anything. I'm not an expert and my setup is far from ideal, I just wanted to play around and see what was possible given the constraints (no tank in the house :( )

Back