Looking for Custom tank builders in SoCal (with reviews)

iSeeMax101

So I guess I'm going to end up having a 400g built to my specs since finding one has yielded some pretty poor results. Glass or acrylic. Will consider both options. Anyone you would recommend and companies you would avoid would be great.

Pretty sure this'll be the last tank I have for a while so might as well enjoy it.
96x40x24(h)

Crystal dynamics or reef savvy are great options for glass... but expect months of wait time...

if you are going with acrylic, advanced acrylics

if this is really ur "last tank" go all out and spend the little extra, I would go with starphire glass... and have a little patience with builders since everything is slow...

good luck and have fun!!

I'm seriously considering getting a new tank as well. I moved from SGV down to the OC about 2 years ago. Finally settling in, and have a prime spot in my living room. Going to rip up the carpet first. Not looking for a huge tank, probably 5 feet in length. Let me know if you find a good tank dealer. What kind of overflow is popular now? I see a lot of people use "ghost" overflow. When I had a tank, it didn't have that as an option. I'm thinking Euro-braced, and not rimless since we live in CA. But I don't know what everyone is thinking.

Crystal dynamics did a great job on mine. Agree it will be a long wait time though.. worth the wait.. plan it well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely check out Crystal Dynamics. They are in Oceanside so they are close enough to visit. They did a spectacular job on my 180. Yes, there is a wait, but anticipation is half the fun! Zoya is great to work as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. Will start to gather quotes and I will update once I’ve picked someone. Thank you all again.

What about SC Aquariums tanks? They have starfire, and seems very reasonably priced compared with other builders. What's the catch?

Last edited:
Yeah SC Aquariums is the budget option. Not sure where they are mass produced...I assume China.

I'm also going to go ahead and recommend Crystal Dynamics. I've had my 50x30x24 for a couple months now and I love it. The craftsmanship on it is spectacular, Trent did an amazing job. I also paid extra for a fancier stand and they knocked it out of the park.

As others have said Zoya was great to work with and patient with my many, many questions. Everyone who ordered CD tanks should compare email threads just for fun. I think mine came in at, between two threads combined, something like 160 replies back and forth.

I ordered in mid-February and took delivery in mid-June, which wasn't too bad for me. What's nuts is the first one they built and delivered shattered as they were removing the plastic wrapping inside my house. It was crazy.

Anyhow order a CD tank, they're great.

I got a CD aquarium it is 72" x 30" x 24" euro braced with external overflow, unfornutely I did not get the great communication other than your tank is ready, which is fine, they were busy. Unfornueatly mine still sits in the garage waiting on Covid to end.
The tank is amazing has the acrylic layer on the bottom reinforced sides and bottom, yeah we are in Ca. Euro brace keeps the water in the tank because of a earthquake. I also bought the white stand from them.

These CD tanks sound amazing. Anyone got any pics of their CD tanks? I do really like their stand as well.

These CD tanks sound amazing. Anyone got any pics of their CD tanks? I do really like their stand as well.

c96608155d5c21ffd3ed69f91dd263f6.jpg

Wow tank looks great! Pricing that I’ve gotten so far was a bit higher than I was hoping to hear but I am trying to build a monster so guess I’ll keep shopping till I have all quotes finalized on a spread sheet to help keep things in prospective

Hi,
Here is a link to my build thread.

https://www.*********.com/threads/crystal-dynamics-72x24x24-build-thread.640897/

I picked CDA as they were local, there product was rock solid and they had a good reputation for customer service. The only downside was the wait was longer that I would have liked.

If you are getting a larger tank, make sure you are comfortable with the build quality. The last thing you want is to get everything dialed in then spring a leak. I really like the reinforced seams and bottom. It made me feel more comfortable having 200 gallons of water in the house [emoji3].

Hi,
Here is a link to my build thread.

https://www.*********.com/threads/crystal-dynamics-72x24x24-build-thread.640897/

I picked CDA as they were local, there product was rock solid and they had a good reputation for customer service. The only downside was the wait was longer that I would have liked.

If you are getting a larger tank, make sure you are comfortable with the build quality. The last thing you want is to get everything dialed in then spring a leak. I really like the reinforced seams and bottom. It made me feel more comfortable having 200 gallons of water in the house [emoji3].

Well, this site does not like links. Look for Crystal Dynamics 72x24x24 build thread on Reeeftworeeef. Haha!

Definitely check out Crystal Dynamics. They are in Oceanside so they are close enough to visit. They did a spectacular job on my 180. Yes, there is a wait, but anticipation is half the fun! Zoya is great to work as well.

You have pics of your 180?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back