Looking for Sea Hare

This is really strange, my other sea hare is not eating it at all. And the first sea hare I added disappeared
Even when I turn off my tunze.

I added a Sally Lite Foot last weekend and shes lazy!

who wants my seahare for $5? He eats hair algae... all my hair algae is gone and I'm feeding him nori everyday and I don't think I can keep up with him

Dang, you are too far from me Puffalicious!!! Does anyone have a seahare that is eating hair algae and doesn't need it anymore??? I would like to buy if you have one. Thanks.

Aero,

I picked up a sea hare, turned off all but one of my 6025s for a week and a half, and the results were less than stellar. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the type of algae. I have some patches of a very short green fuzz, not the long filamentous type hair algae. After a week of significantly reduced flow, the only algae he really ate was along the overflow teeth on the inside of the overflow. Whenever I'd see him not on the rocks, I'd pick him up and put him back to work. It never failed that he'd pretty much find the quickest way back to a tank wall or the overflow and disapear for a day or two.

If it's the flow issue that everyone is talking about, I'm kind stuck because in a 60 gallon cube, one modded nanostream is going to create some kind of water movement everywhere. How long can my corals go without decent flow so this guy can get his job done? I'm guessing that everyone's accounts of 2-4 days would probably be fine, but I don't want to harm my other inhabitants just so this guy has comfortable working conditions. It's not the end of the world if he doesn't work out; but I also dont want him starving to death and then releasing whatever dye may be left inside him.

Chris

Flat,
I really doubt that its the flow issue based from my findings and yours. I always see mines at the walls. Walls barely have any of the hair algae. Even my sally lite foot is hanging out there.

What other animals have you used to fix the algae? I havent replaced my hermit crabs for at least few years and there are probably less than 10 in mines when I should have more than 30.
Thats my next option.

If not, I may considering cooking the live rock. I did this 2 years ago and it worked well for me.

Mines is a filamenteous patches of green algae.

-
I tested my water yesterday for NO3 and P04. NO3 returned less than 1ppm, PO4 returned less than .03ppm. Its slowly spreading.

My walls, even up at the waterline don't have any of the fuzzy algae. I don't know what he's munching on up there. I was just surprised that after all I had read about them being great for algae control, that he didn't seem interested in the little patches of green in my tank.

Like you, my hermit and snail population has slowly declined over the past year, so I may augment that a little and see if that helps. I had read somewhere that people have had better results with the smallest hermits they could find. Probably another bit of reef folklore, but who knows.

If yours is bryopsis <sp> you might look into eradicating it using Kent Tech M to bring your mag levels up above 1800-2000. There are a couple threads about it on RC you could find by searching.

Good luck,
Chris

I fear of OD'ing the magnesium.
Im around 1400 rightnow and last night I took out the LR that have the biggest patch that my tank dont appear to have an outbreak.

all i have left are tiny patches at some LR so im going to add alot of hermit crabs

Back