Looking for suggestions on a skimmer and lighting

spotfin

After several years out of the saltwater/reef realm, I thinking about doing it agajn. I currently have a brackish 54 gal corner aquarium which potentially may be converted to a marine fish/with a few corals tank. I didn't keep any of my salt equipment other than the refractometer and a few, now outdated, test kits. So, I need to think about some new equipment.

What would be:
1) a reasonable priced and effective HOB skimmer ( no sump )?
2) a reasonable priced and effective light fixture that can help grow a couple soft corals?

I've looked a little at new skimmers and lights and my head is spinning. Thank you in advance for suggestions.

Equipment and livestock prices have really increased since you’ve been out of the hobby. Also, philosophies have changed. We no longer strive for absolute zero nitrate and phosphate😉

Quite a few people are (still) going skimmerless with good results.

That said, I’ve had great luck with eShopps skimmers and they do offer a HOB.

For lighting for soft corals, if you want to keep price down, look on eBay for Viparspectra, Phlizon or PopBloom. There’s also several on Amazon like Hygger, Nicrew, etc.

What are you looking for cost wise? I have allot of tanks so I have tried allot of equipment.

You want cheap, Aquamaxx skimmer preform extremely well. They have Sicce pumps which are great. They are built a little cheaply so you have to be careful. But for the price you can not beat the performance. These are definably best bang for the buck.

There are also the old standby by trusted Reef Octopus skimmers, you can not go wrong there.

Skimmers I recommend are Ultra reef if you want to spend slightly more on a skimmer. They are one of the highest quality skimmer I have seen but not at the higher prices. They are priced at the upper midrange.

There are actually allot of good skimmers out there now a days.

Lighting if you are new to led I like the Kessils. they are just super easy to use and just work. They are pretty pricy though but can be had used pretty cheap.

Another good light is the ReeFi Uno light. Probably best for the money but can be a little difficult to use. It has got easier.

Allot of LEDS fixtures use apps and sometimes they are not the easiest and give to many options.

Another great fixture that is reasonably priced and gives really good coverage are Reef Breeder lights.

Most good brand lights out there work well enough.

Only light I do not like is the Ecotech Radion. To many issues I had with them and they are a overpriced piece of plastic. I also do not like mobius for lighting. They do keep corals well enough.

Last edited:
Oh crap you said HOB skimmer. Sorry not many out there. I have only used a few.

Deltec makes some really good ones but can be harder to get. Not much beats them in performance and can be a little pricy.
The MCE600 will compete with in-sump skimmers. Italian Aquabee pump too.

I won a Aquamaxx hob skimmer it worked pretty well.

I never heard much complaint about Reef Octopus HOB models but never tried one.

Really not allot of choices here and I would stick with trusted models because some can overflow.

Tunze makes some in tank skimmers. I have used them and they can be pretty good.

Last edited:
Thank you both for the suggestions! I used to use a AquaC Remora skimmer with the surface skimmer box. Looks like those are gone...

Thank you both for the suggestions! I used to use a AquaC Remora skimmer with the surface skimmer box. Looks like those are gone...
I might have an AquaC that I’m not using. I’ll have to check which brand to verify. I know I got it for free from a member here and never set it up. I’d be willing to give it away to you for just shipping cost

For a HOB skimmer...

Great price, quite and effective.
It will skim....overkill, but you wont need to worry about bioload.
..I use the older brother.....

I might have an AquaC that I’m not using. I’ll have to check which brand to verify. I know I got it for free from a member here and never set it up. I’d be willing to give it away to you for just shipping cost

You pay shipping.....I have a AC Remora Pro you can have....needs a pump.
You both are too kind. IIRC the pro model uses a Mag 3 pump and the regular model uses a maxijet? I had the pro model back then on a 75 gal tank.
PMs sending soon.

Back