Looking to buy...

I have a spare 30 gallon I could use...but have no clue on how to make my own.
what would be a good size to use for a 55 gallon tank

30 gallons is pretty good. Will it fit under your stand? If so, you're half way there. Check out the DIY forum. All you really need is some 1/4 inch acrylic, silicon (not the anti-mildew stuff), and something to cut the acrylic with. All this you can find at Lowe's or home depot; they may even cut it for you.

found this kit on ebay for I think 85 plus shipping...

Attachments

• refugiumkit1.jpg
    refugiumkit1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 0
  • refugium2.jpg
    refugium2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 0
  • refugiumkit3.jpg
    refugiumkit3.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 0
This is the description from the ebay auction...

Specifications:
- CNC machined
- skimmer section, refugium, bubble trap, return pump section.
- 11" water level
- black, light proof refugium baffles
- 1/4" cell cast acrylic
- dual 1" drains (bulkheads not included)
- dual 4" bags (bags not included)
- polished edges
QUALITY MADE IN THE USA

See our other listings for bulkheads, micron bags, sponges, and silicone.

Kit includes 6 pieces:
1-Bulk head plate
1-Bag plate
1-Bag plate support
3-Baffles
+ Detailed instructions
*AQUARIUM NOT INCLUDED*

a couple things:
is the tank up and running?
What size space do we ave under the 55 Gal?
is there a sump already in place or are we adding a refugium ( to act as a sump )

nope,
tank isn't up and running.
30 gallon tank will fit under 55gal.
no sump in place...this is basically new build...

Here's my advice flchevygrl.

You can't drill the 55 as all panels are tempered and not to mention you will quickly learn to hate the width of a 55 gallon tank. So I would sell it. Instead I would go with a 40 breeder. This will allow you to drill holes (side panels are not tempered) for a proper overflow (I suggest a herbie) and the dimensions are much more reef/hobbyist friendly. I have a 40 breeder that is brand new, still with the labels on it you could have for $50 (what I paid for it). A glass company could cut you 2 panes to have an internal coast to coast overflow. As far as you return goes, just go up and over the back of the tank.

Then I would use the 30 gallon tank as your sump. I would have a glass company cut 4 glass baffles and silicone them in place. 3 baffles would be for a bubble trap and the 4th would be to make a compartment for a remote deep sand bed. So basically you would have 3 compartments. 1 on an end for your drain, filter sock, skimmer and heater. 2 on the other end for the remote deep sand bed. 3 for your return pump. You can tee off the return pump to feed the rdsb. Or make a small manifold to feed other equipment like a carbon reactor and gfo reactor. Since your space will likely be limited in the stand you can simply put your auto top off reservoir directly above the rdsb. (You don't want any light hitting the rdsb anyway.) And have a simple gravity fed ATO with a float valve and a simple back up dry float switch on a relay to close a solenoid. This will mitigate and risk of a freshwater flood. If you plan on keeping hard corals you can mix kalk in the ATO to replenish calcium and maintain alkalinity.

With this setup I think you'll find aquascaping the reef will be easier and more athletically pleasing. You can incorporate a quality and safe overflow. The 30 gallon sump will increase water volume. Finally, the maintenance free remote deep sand bed will keep your nitrates at undetectable levels. For more information on that Google "Anthony Calfo Sand Bed in a Bucket." The beauty of the rdsb is it doesn't have the pitfalls that an in tank deep sand bed has but has all of the same benefits. Plus it doesn't have the cost, maintenance, safety issues and other problems that come with a refugium. Not to mention the rdsb will be converting nitrate into nitrogen gas for complete automatic removal from the system, unlike a macro algae refugium that only assimilates nitrates. If you're wanting the refugium to provide a safe place for pods to breed you can simply place a plastic pond filter tray or Tupperware in the return section and fill it with rock rubble. This will act more like a cryptic fuge.

That is what I would do. If you need advice or have questions let me know and I'd be glad to help.

Last edited:
I agree with Cuzza accept find a 70 or 90g instead of the 40. The 40 is a great tank but as with all of us you will soon find your looking for more space. Best to go as big as you can from the start

Well kid came home with this tonight...Gotta love grandparents...lol
Now lfs store is recommending the mircle mud 5 gallon bucket starter pack thing...Yet another lfs store says just add bag of sand and live rock...So whats difference?

thanks,
Betty

Attachments

• 29gallon sump.jpg
    29gallon sump.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 29gallon sump2.jpg
    29gallon sump2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 0
Any fine sugar sand would do. Some use big box play sand (it's a silica based sand which "could" cause diatom issues). The best sand to use would be oolite (being an aragonite based, it will help to buffer your tank and the fact that it's round will keep it from cementing together). Of course the latter will be more money.

Well I would probably just go with another bag of the live stuff and skip the play sand. How much do you think I should use?

What about a light for it? And how long of a light cycle should I run? Just white light or do I need moonlights?

Well we..I talked boyfriend into scrapping the 55 gallon and we are going to go look at a 75 gallon tomorrow. Hopefully the tank and stand checkout ok.

:)

Well we bought the 75 gallon... so 55 is up for sale or back in storage...

is this the sand you were referring to that I use for refugium?

Attachments

• oolite sand.jpg
    oolite sand.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 0
Back