Looking to get into the reefing hobby.

UfFrank

My wife and I have had a 60g freshwater tank for 5 years now, and we want to make the jump to a saltwater reef tank. I know it is a pricey hobby, but we want to get started with a 150g (60 x 24 x 24). We plan on having fish, soft corals and LPS corals.

I have been to a few shops locally Creative Aquariums and Marine Warehouse to get some estimates. Both shops told me that a 60" tank is a custom and all come in either 48" or 72". A 72" is too big for the area I have in mind, but I want the volume of a bigger tank. I could always save money and go smaller, but I don't think I would be satisfied.

Can anyone recommend a builder of a 60x24x24 glass tank that they have had good luck with and doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I have looked online at a few options, but not impressed with what is out there.

Marine Warehouse did have a nice DSA 60x27x27 from last year with stand, but it was 2.9k + tax. I was hoping to spend a little less.

Also is it better to get the parts (Skimmer, Pump, Apex Neptune, ATO, RO/DI, rock, sand etc.) from Bulk Reef Supply or another online dealer or buy it in a package from the local shop? I am pretty handy and feel like I could set-up the system myself, but it would be nice to have a pros help. I plan on buying the lights and wavemaker from Ebay or Amazon anyways.

I would try and find some good used equipment and tank setup. There is usually always a nice setup for sale and buying a tank is like buying a car, they lose resale value the second you get them home.

Can anyone recommend a builder of a 60x24x24 glass tank that they have had good luck with and doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I have looked online at a few options, but not impressed with what is out there. Custom Tanks are going to be WAY pricier than any manufactured tank. If you do get a cheaper price quality will suffer.

Marine Warehouse did have a nice DSA 60x27x27 from last year with stand, but it was 2.9k + tax. I was hoping to spend a little less.

Also is it better to get the parts (Skimmer, Pump, Apex Neptune, ATO, RO/DI, rock, sand etc.) from Bulk Reef Supply or another online dealer or buy it in a package from the local shop? I am pretty handy and feel like I could set-up the system myself, but it would be nice to have a pros help. I plan on buying the lights and wavemaker from Ebay or Amazon anyways.[/QUOTE] I personally like to use our local stores as much as possible. The majority of the time the stores have same prices online(MAP) or can even sometimes beat them depending on the situation. Plus also your helping out someone local who in a pinch, can help out easier and quicker than someone online.

You might want to take a look at marineland 250DD its 60x36x27. Also much cheaper if you went with marineland.

You might want to take a look at marineland 250DD its 60x36x27. Also much cheaper if you went with marineland.
Seen a few of these tanks in person, they are very nice and love the deep dimension they have

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Customaquariums.com could do it They've been around for decades doing commercial setups, just started doing retail. As far as quality, reports have been great so far. Cuzza has one of their tanks, might want to ask him about stopping by and checking out the workmanship. There is a standard 120 (60x18x24ish). Not the best dimensions for a reef but it's standard and 5 feet long. That being said, they don't produce that many and so they're probably comparitively more money than sizes that are mass produced.

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate your experience you have in having already set up your own tanks.

Buy used, this hobby is worse than buying a new car and driving off the lot while it's value plummets. The TBRC also has a FB page where folks are selling entire working systems too. If you are not a member, please join because there is always someone selling something either here or there! And please check out our list of 2016 Sponsors too as those folks can give great input into customized tanks, stands, sumps, etc. And lastly, consider coming to an upcoming meeting to meet and talk to folks who have been where you are! We have great get togethers every month and there is a ton of knowledge in the room. Next meeting is June 4th at 2pm. Further details coming this week.

I've been looking for a 60 x 24 x 24 for over a year now. IMO those are perfect dimensions for reef. I had one and let it slip through my fingers. You will find the occasional acrylic tank with those dimensions. I agree with buying used. If you buy new and don't like it be prepared to get less than half what you paid. .....

acrylic options

acrylic options

As much as I love glass. Acrylic is not a bad option as well. There are some local builders here. A few months ago I saw a 60x24x30h in Orlando. I will look for it.

Last edited:
I got quotes, this past year, from just about every LFS in the area. All were fair in price and dealt with quality builders. Given DSA closing, My next personal preference for glass is Planet Aquarium. They have some amazing standard tanks and build one hell of a custom one but you wont go wrong with any of the LFS.

I found this online. www.SCAquariums.com 60x24x24 starfire glass reef ready with sump, skimmer, pump, etc. Seems too good to be true. It is the size I have been looking for and with all the stuff I need. The only thing I don't like is that the sump is soo big I don't have room for a separate ATO system in the cabinet.

http://www.scaquariums.com/SCA-150-Gallon-Starfire-Tank-p/sca-150gpnp.htm

It is $2500 with a hardwood cabinet (free shipping and no tax). Also I would upgrade the return pump to the Ecotech Marine Vectra 1 (don't know how much that would be), and I would need lights. I am looking a the Euphotica 24" lights on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Programmable-LED-Aquarium-Light-Fixture/dp/B00ECHISKQ

Tank, Sump, and Cabinet have a 3 year warranty, but that does me no good if they are out of business in 6mo. Glass is 12mm thick = .47" should I be worried about that?

Anyone ever heard of these guys? I have looked for reviews online and can't find anything. I don't want to be a guinea pig, but don't want to spend 5-6k on a similar or smaller system from a LFS.

I have a 120g tank that i have considering selling. It is empty right now, and i "plan" to get it back up and running but i've been saying that for 3 years now.

It is 60"L x 18"D x 26" high. it took awhile to find but i had an alcove that only fit that size.

Let me know if you are interested and i can try and get some pics.

Back