LPS under T5s. Anyone?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6502946#post6502946 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cmondo
I recently upgraded my lighting to T5's on my 65, the 4x39 watt, and I have heard of some people keeping monti's in there, and even acros. Some have said they take a long time to adjust though. Anyone had experience with this. I don't plan on adding them for sometime, and filling with LPS in the meantime. thanks

Again, Mine was Icecap overdriven so take it for what it's worth, After running T5s for a year, What is good for LPS is not so good for SPS and vice-versa. Your best off keeping two seperate systems to be the most successful with both when using T5s. Acropora did quite well but the LPS that I mentioned in earilier posts definately suffered.

I had about 20 SPS frags all a good variety of colors, to maintain colors good, you need low nutrient which may have contributed to my dissapointment with LPS under T5s. All the of Acropora frags came from 250W MH or better. Suprisingly, most all maintained color well with little shifts. Only difference was they were lighter in color but did maintain the overall color pretty well. Blues and purples had no problems which typically are the first to brown out or change color due to intensity. Only major change was greens were difficult to maintain a bright green ( Remember, I used VHO actinics, did not use the Blue+ bulbs which may help or resolve but for aethetic reasons I didn't like the Blue+ at all because a number of coral colors get drowned out by all the blue ). Most turned closer to yellow. Since they were small frags difficult to tell about growth. Growth was slow but that is not uncommon with small frags as usually takes close to a year before they start to take off. My hunch though based on my years of experience with MH that I would have grown better under the MH but that's just my opinion.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6523208#post6523208 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dtprkr
Which T5 bulbs do you guys use to get your corals to "pop"?

On my 75 LPS "only" tank I use (2) T5 actinic and 1 aquablue and 1 blue +. I love the the look. You really need (2) T5 actinics = basically 1 VHO superactinic. Growth has been fantastic. I have GSP all over my back glass.

I'm torn between adding a NO T5 460nm actinic to suppliment my HOs or 1 VHO actinic. I would love to see what the NO T5 does just to give me a little more blue so colors don't drown out.

Just my 2 cents,

I have an LPS dominated tank & run 2 96w PC Actinic & 2 250w 14k's on my tank. After lots of experimenting, this seems to be the best combo for color & growth JMO.

On my 55 gallon, I'm thinking about putting in 2 blue+, 1 aquablue, and 1 65k daylight. I'm unsure about the order in which they should go in the fixture though.

I agree with Vamp75 on MH 14k with Actinic support for best growth and color.....

Mike, have you used MH 14k with VHO Actinic and T5 Blue+?
I think this might be the best combo but in my 60x18x21 tank 2x 250W HQI + 140W VHO and 80W Blue+ seems too much elec bill and I could live with much less.... 2x 150W HQI would not cover most area of 60" long so I took T5 next best one.

If I get 60x24 size tank (My future size of tank) than I would get 2x 250W HQI + 1 T5 blue+ and 1 VHO.

Just want to confirm you guys that still the MH with Actinic support is the best growth and color but if someone cannot take that due to heat or other reason T5 will be fine.

There is no magic on T5s for color or growth.

dtprkr, 2 blue+, 1 aquablue, and 1 65k daylight will give vary white or yellow color tank than blue. Aquablue is more like white than blue and to support 65k you need 2 blue+ bulbs and you have aquablue as well.

Back