Macro lens

brandon0350

Figure I would ask before I make a purchase. I have a nikon d5200 with the stock 18-55mm lens. I am looking to get a macro lens for close up shots. I have 2 requiements:
1. Side shots through the glass average distance of 10"
2. Top down shots through acrylic port hole, average distance 6"
I'm looking at getting the tamron 90mm. Would that be a good choice? Any other suggestions?
Thanks

Misled shoots a Nikon and I'm sure he will have some suggestions for you.

I'm new to photography and I shoot a Canon so I can't help you much on specifics with your Nikon

I've also heard good things about the Tamron 90mm macro lens, I'm still trying to decide on what lens I'll go with for macro shots.

I've also bought several lens attachments that will multiply the magnification of what you're looking at through the lens which may help you in either deciding not to get a true macro lens or not. It depends on what you have for lenses now.

I also ordered a set of these macro extension tube sets to see how well they work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162026024002?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I have a Tamron 90. I also have a Nikon 105 that I would say is a couple notches better than the Tamron. The only thing I don't like about the model of my 90 is it doesn't have internal focus. That may have changed in some newer models. It is very good for macros and is well known as one of the best portrait lenses around.

I ended up getting the tamron 90mm, have taken a couple shots with it. Just need to find the correct settings to use now. I would like a little more reach into the tank though, maybe thinking about getting some close up lenses for it

Well, you don't have to buy new. A used Nikon AF 105 will run you 3 to 4 hundred. No motor, no internal focus. I also never said anything about cheap. The Tamron is as well built as Nikon's AF-S 105. They are very similar in looks. It also has the motor in the lens, so it focuses fine on the 5200.

What do you guys think of a sony A55 camera? I was able to get it very cheap and it takes nice macros.

The a55 was one of my first cameras with Sony. Great little camera. Just be aware that the video mode on it is absolute crap. It will record for 3-5 minutes and then crap out from overheating. This was later corrected in other bodies but the a55 remained with this problem as it was hardware based.

Back