MagDrive 7: Pump keeps getting "stuck"

Mekong

My magdrive 7 keeps getting stuck. Whenever it is turned off and then turned back on again theres like a 1/3 chance that the impeller is some how not going to spin and just sit there quivering. I then need to take it apart and move the impeller just slightly and it starts working again. Then when I put everything back together and all plumbed up it has like a 1/3 chance of turning back on. I had it working last week for a week straight until power was cut briefly and it started doing this again.

I cleaned the thing thoroughly, and its still happening. I tried a new replacement impeller and the same thing happened.

Any suggestions?

Is there a better submersible pump I can use?

My suggestion is replace it with another Mag.Mags are resonably priced and seems they go on sale periodically....I experienced the same thing.I have several Mags.They are very dependable but one old one would always cut out after a power surge and not restart.Its okay if your at home because you can get them restarted by manually turning the impeller .The one that acted up was 8 yrs . It was a feed pump for my Reef octopus skimmer Bubble blaster pump .I didn't replace the Mag initially
since I could restart after it would stop .The time I wasn't home the impeller for my Bubble blaster broke
(Since the Mag stopped and did restart and the skimmer pump went dry). Once they start acting up they should be replaced.

Last edited:
My LFS has an aquatop for $10 less than a magdrive on marinedepot, is aquatop any good?

Or should I just stick with a new MagDrive? This will be my 3rd MagDrive 7 since 2004. Not sure how bad other pumps are, got the MagDrive on recommendation here back when I started.

Is Enhime worth the 2x+ cost?

Last edited:
As Vinny suggests, get an Eheim and it will be the last pump you ever buy. I have Eheim filters that are more than 30 years old and a 1260 hobby pump that is more than 20 years old. It has been dropped and bashed multiple times, but still works perfectly. Worth much more than twice the cost of the Mag...

Yep, if you can afford the eheim's extra expense, go for it. I've got a 1262 that's been 24-7 for longer than I want to admit, for fear of jinxing it haha. I think I've put an impeller and a shaft in it over the years. Pretty reliable. Relegate the mag drive to saltwater mixing duty. They're good pumps but too risky to keep one around that won't restart.

Not to hijack this 2 year old thread, but I have a mag drive 7 in a reservoir to automate watering of plants. Recently the pH of said reservoir started decreasing by .2 within 12-18 hours. If I adjust the pH, it decreases again. Nothing ever spilled in the reservoir and the only cause I can think of is something to do with the pump. Is there anything with these pumps that would decrease pH at that rate? Adjusted to 6.0, the pH will drift down to 5.7-5.8 within half a day. Bizarre.

I doubt the pump has anything to do with your PH drop. Are you using CO2 for the plants or is this otherwise in an enclosed environment with humans and pets? Excess CO2 is the most likely culprit for low pH. What is the source water? Is this low pH water detrimental in some way?

Try opening the windows one day when it's nice & see if that helps.
Houses can become loaded with CO2 when locked up for heat or AC.

This is in a grow room with plenty ventilation and no one resides in it. I go in out randomly but no one lives in it. Forgot to mention: not using c02.

Back