Magnesium Chloride and sulfate

JDT1234

For six years I’ve been on the roller coaster of parameter swings. Tank as always been just so so with what seems to be a lot of extra work compared to what I was reading from everyone else.

Looking for answers again today I came across Magnesium article and in particular Magnesium Chloride and Sulfate. I have never mixed the two. Was never shown that and for some reason never came across that until today.

Could that be the main culprit for my ongoing parameter issues/swings that I just could never make any sense of??

I just order BRS’s premixed magnesium and hoping finally I have laid to rest my parameter issues.

Having correct magnesium levels stabilizes calcium and alkalinity and helps prevent precipitation events. Is that what parameters you are talking about?

Having mixed magnesium prevents the slow but steady increase in either sulfate or chloride as happens when only one is dosed, but that has no effect on calcium and alkalinity stability that I am aware of. Ive been using Seachem magnesium for years and it is magnesium sulfate combined with sodium chloride to keep the ions balanced.

Having correct magnesium levels stabilizes calcium and alkalinity and helps prevent precipitation events. Is that what parameters you are talking about?

Having mixed magnesium prevents the slow but steady increase in either sulfate or chloride as happens when only one is dosed, but that has no effect on calcium and alkalinity stability that I am aware of. Ive been using Seachem magnesium for years and it is magnesium sulfate combined with sodium chloride to keep the ions balanced.
Yes I was referring to Calcium and Alkalinity parameters and understand Magnesium’s role, but I didn’t realize there were two parts to a Magnesium mix until coming across a thread today, and was hoping not mixing the chloride and sulfate together would have solved my issue with maintaining stable parameters.

I’ll start using the premixed magnesium and see if that changes things for the better. I’m hoping after reading that you have used a premixed magnesium yourself that this will help. Thank you for replying.

How much do you mix at a time? I need some Mag and if I’m doing the math right (this early in the morning) the 600g jar will make about 28 liters (7.5 gallons)???

How much do you mix at a time? I need some Mag and if I’m doing the math right (this early in the morning) the 600g jar will make about 28 liters (7.5 gallons)???
I only add magnesium in my ato water. It lasts a week, I put in 8 teaspoons (I crush it in a pestle and mortar first because it's like road salt). So, 8 teaspoons a week for 70 gallons system volume. I never have to make any adjustments so I guess that is working for me but it would be easy to add more if needed..

How do you maintain Ca and Alk Sean?
Kalk on a doser (480ml a day if I recall). I have a jug of baked baking soda (Randy's recipe) on another dosing line for adjustments to alk but it's still pretty much full since kalk and water changes has been enough.

Back