Magnet Suggestions

TyWynn

Anyone have experience with using magnets to attach to rocks? I want to mount magnets on a few. Fist size or smaller rocks to put on the side and back of my nano, but have no idea if there's a grade or strength I need for magnets to not contaminate the water a strong enough to hold up the rocks.

Id also make sure the magnet isnt coated with anything. Believe it or not but ive seen them rust inside tanks/equipment before. My frag racks have very powerful magnets and the guy that made the racks also made acrylic pieces that the magnets fit into so the magnet would never be exposed to the salt water

Anyone have experience with using magnets to attach to rocks? I want to mount magnets on a few. Fist size or smaller rocks to put on the side and back of my nano, but have no idea if there's a grade or strength I need for magnets to not contaminate the water a strong enough to hold up the rocks.

You should look for N52 magnets. Also, make sure that they are around 1/2" on the polarized side. I have done magnets for my tanks for years now without issues. Just make sure you use a 1/4" or thicker layer of epoxy all around the magnet and you will be fine. I did a floating rock for my tank once and it worked great, but it started to shadow other corals under it and I took it out of the tank.

Be aware of this issue before placing it in your tank. Make sure whatever lives under it can handle less or no light.

Glad I could help :beer:

Let us know how you like them. I'm thinking about drilling one and using it as a more attractive frag rack.

Back