Maintenance of Refugium

Just wondering what folks do or do not do to maintain their refugium. Do you keep snails, crabs or other critters in your fuge? Do you do any cleaning of your fuge? Just curious as I have always read mixed things about what to do to maintain a refugium.

I have a HOB, CPR Aquafuge 2 with DSB and Caulerpa.

I keep snails in it and when I do a water change try to suck up any just on the bottom of it.

I have a few sand sifter snails (for the deep sand bed I keep in it), and a serpent star. Plan on adding a few turbo snails to clean the glass too eventually. :)

Last edited:
I have a few sand sifter snails (for the deep sand bed I keep in it), and a serpent star. Plan on adding a few turbo snails to clean the glass too eventually. :)

I have a couple of turbo snails. I trhink I need to add some critters in mine to try to keep my sand bed a little cleaner. I never thought of adding a serpent star that is a good idea. Will the serpent star eat any pods that may be in the refugium? That is the only thing I would worry about.

good thread!!!! I will keep checking back to check to see what people are doing with thier fuges.

I get tons of build up, I scrap i once a month, but I do not concern myself with the appearance of the sump for the most part.

My serpent star does not seem to hurt anything down there. I do get a nice green glass on the sides...If I want to look in there, I just scrape off the glass (like 1x a month). My kids actually like to reach in and feed the serpent star (clean hands and me watching them) a piece of krill every now and then. :)

Back