Man did I get a deal

Gabi480

I just picked up 3 queen choches(sp?) for umm about 11 bucks. They were 3.57 a peice.
But my question is how many can one keep in a tank I know 1 is going ot my friend but can 2 be kept?

I started out with two small ones in my 100G but after they began to grow I gave one away. One large( 3"+) per 100G is probably a good number so it doesn't starve.

I have starved 4-5 in my 150G. I don't but them anymore.

Stevens wants to know where ya bought them...........

my guess is martins i got mine there and it was about 5 bucks though and mine was the biggest one she had about 1.5 inches

Queen Conches can reach the size of a football. They cannot survive long term in our tanks because there just isn't enough area for them to find food. I wouldn't add one to my tank and it's a 150.

A better bet is the Fighting Conch. It reaches a maximum size of about 3".

Actually, AFAIK, they don't eat algae, they are detrivores an eat stuff off of your sand bed.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6957513#post6957513 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by joeyf
Actually, AFAIK, they don't eat algae, they are detrivores an eat stuff off of your sand bed.

Actually according to Dr Ron's "Marine Inverts" book Queen Conchs primarily only eat microalgae like Diatoms off the sand bed.

I could have sworn I read in a book somewhere that said queens ate detrius, I could either be mistaking diatoms for detrius, or queens for another type of conch.

I have two queen conch and they are doing pretty well in my aquarium. They eat algae for sure. I see them try to eat algae from the glass and the rocks but they can't reach very high.

Back